1979 45 hp chrysler very sick

canadaken

Recruit
ok I just went toake the boat out and the motor seems to have rolled over and died on me. The battery went dead and I think has a bad cell, won't hold a charge. So I pull started it and got it running but anything over 30% throttle and it boggs down and no power, I squeezed the primer to see if it was starving for fuel and it was ok. It has always started and ran perfect since I got it 3 years ago. Could the battery being bad cause this?? with it running it is only making 7 volts?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

fucawi

Banned
Re: 1979 45 hp chrysler very sick

could have two or three problems ..if battery has been left for 3 years is scrap. check carging is working measure battery voltage with engine running ..if it goes over 13v then its working ( will go to 16) If not working test volts at yellow wires from under flywheel ....use AC range ..should show an AC voltage up to 16 v dependent on speed..If no volts coils under flywheel broken.. If volts OK check output on red wire of rectifier . Should be 16v DC ...did you check the cut out box down by the solelnoid.
Common problem with these is the key breaking on the flywheel ..this puts the timing out ...also check compressions.

fucawi

Banned

I have the manual and one in the shed if you need photo guidance or information.

canadaken

Recruit

cool thanks, I have the manual too and i borrowed my bosses battery, gonna try it in few minutes

canadaken

Recruit

well it was the battery, guess it can't make enough spark at 7 volts, thanks for your help, much appreciated