Water in #2 (Middle) Cylinder. Compression Issue. 90 HP Force

Kent_Burrow

Cadet
Greetings-
I have a Bayliner 17 foot 1989 90 horse Force I/O. Had many problems with smoking and such and was convinced it was a carberation/fuel issue. Went through carbs and did a compression test at the same time. From top down I was at 125#,75# and 125#. Yep 75. Low right?
So we put it back together and the motor roared to life like I have never heard before. We thought we had it dialed in. Then came the smoke, and the rough running. Pulled off the center plug (2 cylinder) turned it over and low and behold got a little spray of water out the plug hole when we turned it over.
So my question is are there water jackets that run along the middle cylinder? Or do I have potentailly much biggger issues that just a possible blown head gasket. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water in #2 (Middle) Cylinder. Compression Issue. 90 HP Force

Water comes from the head gasket or a cracked cylinder.It circulates around the pistons and the head.I'd guess the first, first.Possibly the water jacket on the exhaust.
Pull the head and inspect the gasket.Good gasket then the exhaust cover on the side could be bad letting water in to the pistons.
If the boats been in salt water one time it could be tough to take apart.
Do these things and post the results.
I remove the side cover with a lot of CAUTION!!!
I use WD or PB Blaster.I spray and use a small torch and a small hammer.
I spray a bit of heat and tap tap tap on the screw heads.I so this a LOT before I even try to undo 1 screw.
1 broken/twisted off bolt can be a MOTHER!!!!Just hope it's the head gasket.J

Sprky

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice reply Jerry........ Looks like you covered it all.

Chris

Kent_Burrow

Cadet

I will do that. Thanks so much for the insight.
I am having trouble getting a proper model number. I was told it was a 90 horse, but not sure they did 90 horse in 89. Looks like they were 85 horse. At any rate, I will get on this on the weekend. I will for sure let you know the outcome.
Thanks again.
Kent

celtic gelf

Seaman

from my understandding the engine is stamped on top with the number you're looking for....round by the flywheel and stator...I couldn't find mine that way... but was able to get the model from a sticker on the exhaust manifold which I gave to the parts man and he identified my engine..haha i came up with a 92 powerhead 89 midsection and a 93 lowerunit...lol a frankenstein engine...

celtic gelf

Seaman

seeing how i pulled my exhaust and it was a chore....my force engineer told me you can retorque the bolts adding 15 in. lbs. and torque in the order given...sadly this sounds like a cracked exhaust manifold...but crossing my fingers you have just a bad gasket..

Kent_Burrow

Cadet

Yeah I found the model number. It was stamped low on the block near where it mounts to the out drive. Thank you for the input. I am hoping I don't have the bride of Frankenstien...

Kent_Burrow

Cadet

I am hoping that you are wrong on the cracked exhaust manifold. Not sure how big of a bear that would be to replace.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Not that big of a job.Unless the salt has gotten to it.J
Do the head gasket first.J

Kent_Burrow

Cadet

Okay. I got through my labor day weekend and am going to start the head gasket issue. The hopeful head gasket issue. Is there a sequence to removing the head bolts? My service manual is in route to me but I would like to get a head start. Pardon the pun...

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Ok if it's been is ANY salt water.Go slow!!! There is no sequence to undo.If possible tap the bolt head and try to turn,tap PB blaster and then more tap ,Pb and so on.Your trying to break up the corrosion.
There is only about 20# of torque on these bolts so they shouldn't be too hard to remove.

Kent_Burrow

Cadet

Okay...I got the head pulled off and low and behold the gasket was sure enough blown at the #2 cylinder. It was hard to determine why. Heat related etc... I did notice a build up of calcium deposits around the thermostat. I will clean this aswell. I am wondering if cleaning the head surface with steel wool is an okay thing?
The plate that covers over the head is obvioulsly to circulate water on the top of the pistons. There was no visible sealer which I found interesting. I am going to use the red high heat rpv?? to seal it.
My concerns are the low compression in 2. It looks like the gasket could be the culprit, but I am worried it could be a ring thing too. I will continue to keep aprised. Thanks again all for your input. Love this forum.

south599

Cadet

hello i seem to be having a similar problem. i have a 1984 force 125. it recently has been filling up the 2 cylinder down with water. However, the engine has no problem start or running for that matter and i have no loss in power. Do you think it is a head gasket? this engine has never been run in salt water. It was over heated once, but started up just fine after it was cooled down. Any idea's would be greatly appreciated, i use this motor for tournament fishing and don't want to have to worry about its reliability.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

South,this thread is 8mo old.
Start your own,we'll be happy to help.
Profile?Location?
Serial#
Yes it sounds like a head gasket.Do a compression test.

Kent_Burrow

Cadet

Yes. The head gasket was the issue. And it was very easy to repair. Getting the residue off the head was a pain. But if you have the right tools like an air buffer it is so much easier. I am still having the extremely frustrating issue of the plugs fouling. I've done new fuel, gone through the carbs, checked my spark and still the damned thing loads up and runs terrible. UGH!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Do the linc and sinc at the top of the Force forum.
The air screws out 1 turn and leave them there.
Stop all additves.You sure the oil is 50-1? 1 pint to 6 gal.
What plugs??? UL-18V

stubtail

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You mention using an "air buffer" to clean the head at the mating surface. Aluminum is a relatively soft metal, and using hand tools such as an air buffer, it would be easy to adversely affect the flatness required to properly seal against compression - sort of like a warped head.

Worth checking compression again, just to rule out that possibility.

Kent_Burrow

Cadet

Okay. I thought I would get back to everyone on the rest of the story for my boat issue. Yes it was a blown headgasquet, but that was not the end of my problem. I just stored the boat for the year winter and thought I would readdress in the summer which I did. So after more looking into it turns out the big picture problem for the plugs loading up was from my dual stage fuel pump was leaking fuel past the diaphram into the block. New diaphram...problem solved. Yeah. Thanks for all the help. Thought I would share for future help to others who may experience a similar problem. Love these forums.