leaf spring flat on one side...what are cheap options? I mean CHEAP!!!

Swivelhart

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My boat trailer spring shackle is almost all the way up against the trailer frame. The spring is completely flat. I dont see a broken spring but I am going on a camping trip in a week and really cannot afford to buy a set of springs right now. Can I add a leaf (do they sell a cheap kit?) What is the cheapest possible route even if it is just temporary???

2011-08-18062839.jpg

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: leaf spring flat on one side...what are cheap options? I mean CHEAP!!!

Junk yard for a used set of leafs. Good luck.....

Don't do some half-***** jury rig and risk your boat, tow-vehicle, and other people on the road.

<<)))(((>>

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

To lay back like that means 1) the trailer was overloaded at some point or 2) the existing leaf/leaves are actually broken. Can't tell for sure by the picture but it wold appear both 1 and 2 are possible. Boat looks heavy for the trailer.

bigdee

Commander

Northern tool 1500# springs $22-$30

woosterken

Lieutenant

redneck repair, jam a pice of 4x4 in there,just long enough to make trailer set level.
hey , you said cheap as possible LOL
woosterken

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

Not sure if this will do anything for you or not, but I had a tire issue a week or so ago & bought 2 new tires on rims from Wal Mart. Upon removing the old tire & wheels I noticed there were U-bolts around the spring packs on both sides. It looked to me as though it was to fix sagging springs & keep them together. Not sure what there for to be honest with you. My boat is a 17' bowrider w/O/B much like yours & the trailer looks to be the same. Like I said, Don't know if this info will help, but it would be a cheap/quick fix just to go camping for the weekend. Good luck.

j_martin

Admiral

You should be able to load springs to the stops and they will recover their shape. I would bet you have broken leaves, probably at the center bolt hole.

I have used emergency red-neck repairs (wood block, strap to frame, etc) to get home, but I don't leave home with them.

When you have a heavy boat on a single axle trailer and a spring breaks, equipment is lost, and people get hurt.

oldjeep

Admiral

Brand new trailer springs are cheap - accidents are expensive, no reason to half *** anything. Pull the spring off and take it to Northern tool or your local spring shop. Should be able to replace it for under $50

Swivelhart

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I ordered springs today...thanks for all the advice. They are long springs (28") from eye to eye when not under load!