looking for 12 horse tohatsu carb kit with no luck , anyone know why?

liljon12

Recruit
I was told that a 12 horse tohatsu and a 15 horse nissan are the same , is that true ? I'm looking for a carb kit for my 12 horse but I can't find anything. Its dumping fuel pretty good and the needle valve looks like it has a groove in it . if I close the mixture screw all the way it'll slowly die out and when it does you can watch fuel pour out of the nozzle right inside the carb barrel. Im assuming the needle is bad . Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: looking for 12 horse tohatsu carb kit with no luck , anyone know why?

Take the parts that you need to replace to a marine store and compare with actual 15 HP engines....or post pictures of the parts to have a look. If the fuel needle is pointless, it's bad, not closing properly against it's base.

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Carburetor parts are no longer available, for that model engine, from any source.

liljon12

Recruit

so am I outta luck or what ? There's no way to fix this ?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Which parts specifically do you need ? Near every part from a carb could be fixed to a working condition, you can make gaskets and rubber diaphragms from proper material using old ones as models. Near mission impossible to repair is worn valve tip.

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Mercury parts do not fit that model engine....

flangler

Seaman Apprentice

I found a needle valve made by Honda that fits my M9.9B2. I took it to a lawnmower shop and they were able to match it up pretty well. Makes sense Honda is also built in Japan, obviously. But it runs great now. I also adjusted my float at the same time because it got out of whack. I would try that if anything. You can get a lot of carb parts for them individually, just not kits. You can almost piece one together, besides needle valves and jets.