Ourdrive Removal

sealyons1

Recruit
I have a 1985 Mercruiser MR 200 (5.0l pre-alpha). I tried to get the drive off todayyand did not have much luck. I put the gearsgift if fwd and remmoved the aft trim cylander bolt/ washers & bushings as well as the six (6) bolts holding the drive on. The drive would only move about 1/8" and would go no further. I re-checked that it was in FWD at the gearshift as well as the assembley on the motor. The boat was not used last year and the drive was off a the year before. This is my first attempt at doing this myself. What am I missing?

Trent

Captain
Re: Ourdrive Removal

Raise the drive by hand and put a 2x2 or 2x4 between the drive and the gimble housing. Drop/push the drive down on the wood several times. This usually works pretty good.

sealyons1

Recruit

I tried putting a metal rod between the drive and the housing to no avail. I also tried wooden shims between the mounting surfaces too. I even tried attaching the drive to my truck to "coax" it off...no luck. Could it somehow not be in FWD?

Bondo

Staff member

You can Look up from the forward end,+ See if the Shoe is Straight.....<br /><br />How Long has it been since the drive has been removed ??<br /><br />Sounds like it's Hung on the gimbel bearing...... If it's Rusted,....... Get a Bigger Truck..........

sealyons1

Recruit

I checked the shoe and it is straight. I have heard that connecting the rams and triming the drive would (could)work as well....would that be better than a truck? It was removed/ reinstalled two years ago by the repair shop.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.......<br />I've had Great Luck the way Trent mentioned,.. Just pick it Up,+ SLAM it Down........<br /><br />I've also used the trim ram method,... That's After Repeated Slamming......<br /><br />Ayuh,.......<br />The Truck is an Absolute Last Resort,..... After you make Sure nothing has been Forgotten..... ;)

sealyons1

Recruit

Is there anything else I can do to help it along i.e. grease etc?

Bondo

Staff member

Where it's Stuck is at the very back of the Engine, IN the Coupler,........<br />Or,.......<br />The shaft is Froze in the Gimbel Bearing, which is mounted in the Transom Assembley, It's Possible you Might be able to see it, where the Shaft Exits the boat.........<br /><br />I can't think of any other ideas to bail you out.......

achris

More fish than mountain goat

If the truck idea doesn't work you have one last thing you can do. Never had to do it myself but I have it as a backup idea.<br /><br />Remove the top cover of the leg and undo the nut on the end of input shaft, it won't be easy to get at because of the upper drive shaft. Once the nut is off the leg should just slide off, leaving the unis and yoke in place. It'll give you a look at why it wasn't moving.<br /><br />As I said, I haven't ever had to resort to this, it's an extreme measure.<br /><br />Good luck and keep us posted.<br /><br />Chris.................

Bondo

Staff member

I Suppose you Could Pull the Engine,+ Beat the Input shaft Out Through the Gimbel Bearing.............<br /><br />Get a Big Enough SledgeHammer,+ SomeThing is Going to Give..........