Comprop for Sea Ray

rogerwa

Commander
I am running an 18p prop on a Sea Ray Seville 17' with 130hp i/o. My WOT is about 4900. This config is good for skiing but I would like to pickup a second prop for better general cruising.<br /><br />I am thinking either a 20 or 22p four blade Comprop. Does any one have any experience with these? I am thinking the four blade config will help with planing the higher pitch prop, yet give me better top end than the 18p.<br /><br />Since the MC 3.0l Alpha I drive has a specified WOT of 4200-4600, would it be best to go for the 20 or 22P. The 20p putting me at roughly 4500 and the 22P putting me at 4300RPM. This is based on 200 RPM per inch of pitch.<br /><br />Any input would be great..

skier

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Comprop for Sea Ray

I don't know if I had a defective prop, but I used the 4 blade ComProp on my 1979 Merc 140 outboard and at the end of the year, I launched and started the motor and backed off the trailer, trimmed the motor down a little and put it in gear to tie up and all four blades broke off at an idle!!! I sent it back to ComProp and they told me that it was not a bad prop. I hoope that you will have better luck with yours.<br /><br />I hope this helps.<br /><br />Craig

D

DJ

Merc 140,<br /><br />I had similar experiences with a couple of them on a John-70. The blades come off if you even THINK about hitting anything-including sand.<br /><br />Rogerwa,<br /><br />It seems to me that you are winding that engine a little tight. I think you want to go up in pitch about 2 inches. A three blade stainless in the 19" to 20" range should work out.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

You are on the right track.<br /><br />If you look for highest performance you're heading into the stainless market. I'm using a 23" HighFive on my SeaRay 160 w/ Merc 115 and I get good mpg when cruising at 2600 rpm - on clean plane.. doing abt. 20-22 knots.<br /><br />Check this web page if you want to know all about it.

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I carry a comp prop as a spare. They are designed to break off rather than damaging your drive. <br />I would go with a 19" 3 blade stainless.<br />Top end speed would be greatly improved do to less flex in the prop. <br />Hull will plane quicker for the same reason.<br />Good luck<br /> :)