ugly 1978 customcraft 16' & 1979 johnson 70 h.p.

crazy and lazy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Couldn't help myself!:facepalm: We'll just consider this a donation to the armed forces wives chairty. I'll post some pics later. Been reading up on these motors so I'll be doing some rebuilding carbs and some of the other things mentioned in the thread "waking a sleeping motor". Anybody ever heard of this manufacture? Thats what was on the title. Need to find an oem manual for this thing. After I do the maint. on the motor I plan on replacing the decking and carpet and trying to paint the top shell as you will see how ugly this thing really is. I like a challange;) When I order my carb re build kits I NEED 3 kits right?

Robert

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Re: ugly 1978 customcraft 16' & 1979 johnson 70 h.p.

We definitely need pics to verify ugliness. :)

One kit for each carb.

Hydra-sport_Road-kill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think Ugly is my boats nickname or middle name and the least offensive term my wife uses on it :p Am looking forward to this rebuild and pics. When you got it, did it have leaves in it? Love those.

crazy and lazy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IMG_0463.JPGIMG_0464.JPGIMG_0465.JPGIMG_0466.JPG Here you go my good friends. Don't laugh too hard. Got a new gas tank fuel line battery. Got the drain plug out of lower unit letting it drain as much as possible. Got the oil for lower unit, and a few other goodies. Tom I'm gonna order the carb kits and spark plug wires. Thnx everybody

crazy and lazy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey rickryder, I tried to go to that site u reffered me to for my glastron repairmanual OME! Can't seem to find it. Hydra sport I thought leaves was standard in all model of boats, you mean u can actually buy a boat with out leaves. :eek:. That's a new one on me:D.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Good lord, that is ugly :eek: :) Nice motor and the trailer looks solid. The hull itself ain't bad either but yeah the cap and interior are for sure horrid.

crazy and lazy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thnx EZ, we'll see if we can have a beast turned beauty? Actually the whole thing is in fairly good shape. Any suggestions for carb kits? Seen 2 different ones on here (iboats). Then somewhere I read make sure to replace the needles, floats, & all the lines. Just wanna make sure I ( or WE ;) do the best job possible w what I got. Later I'll take some pics of the plug wires and maybe someone can give their oppinion on weather or not to replace them. Thnx for looking and help. Oh yeah I found these plug wires on ebay item # 17068518168. What do you think worth it?

crazy and lazy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guys I need some help. Does anybody know what the hole under passenger's seat. Looks to be there for some reason. Also on the coils there seems to be some kinda either silicone or corrosion, leaning towards the first. I think someone took some housepaint to paint the top half. Should be able to sand it down and put some top coat white brush on paint to fix her (or him, my son says)? I think it will be a nice little fishing boat.:redface: He wants to name it "Police Chase" or something along those lines. Speaking of lines, I was reading more on awakening sleeping motors very helpful thanx. So I went to the local marina North Shore, and picked up all kinds of stuff. omc fuel line assy. from gas tank to motor, 3 carb kits w floats, some extra fuel hose, few bolts for the stater, I noticed it was loose, impeller, fuel filter. I love this stuff!!!!!:D Got plenty to do this weekend. Thanx in advance for your help and your comments.
Robert

Attachments

• IMG_0463.JPG
    IMG_0463.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0464.JPG
    IMG_0464.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0465.JPG
    IMG_0465.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0461.JPG
    IMG_0461.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0462.JPG
    IMG_0462.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 0

crazy and lazy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SANY0279.JPG try again. What's this hole? It's on the bottom of the hull.

Hydra-sport_Road-kill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

View attachment 110250 try again. What's this hole? It's on the bottom of the hull.
I wouldn't push my whole stack of chips in on this but it looks a bit like a lost drain plug with the rubber missing. Do let me know if there is prize money for a correct answer. :D

Glad to see your pics got added to your restore thread. I'll admit the pics make me feel better about my own vessel's unsightly circumstances and to know you're a man not prone to exaggerations. :D
Just kidding . . . we all have to get our smart-alack quips in while we can just here on the first couple pages, but we're pulling for your success to make her right again. As soon as you get to grinding away she'll pretty much fall in with rest of the crowd.

crazy and lazy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEY everybody I got great news. Last night I got to spend some time on the boat. Replaced fuel lines, gas tank, sparkplugs, lower unit oil, sprayed lube in the cylinder walls ( where the plugs go ), and sprayed a little starter fluid in the mid carb, and that thing started right up. Ran a little rough til warmed up but seemed ok. I was running it in the trashcan so I don't know if it shifts yet. Water was pouring out the pee hole no worries there. I did however buy the kits and impellar now I'm just wauting on a manual to rebuild the carbs.
Well Hydra you my friend win the door prize. You were absolutely 100% right about the hole in the hull.

crazy and lazy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thnx ez, went ahead and got that manual coming. That'll be a big help. I don't wanna lose or do anything wrong. What did you think about the stuff on the plug coils? silicon or some sort of corrosion? Any idea? Considering I paid 200.00 for the boat, motor, and trailer I'd say I was pretty much ahead of the game. All the light s work on the trailer, steering, lets see what happens. I've got about 300.00 in parts and stuff soo all together so far bout 500.00. Evenrude and johnson are the same, right?
Robert

oops!

Supreme Mariner

uh....i just saw this.....uh.....well.......uh.....that is fugly. lol

that is some guys project.....he cut the cap out of a tri and glassed in new consoles. he intended it to be a fish killer.

the hole is not factory....what are your plans for the adopted duck ? (ugly duckling)

crazy and lazy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Haha, I don't really know except to redo the motor which is almost done, I hope:confused:. I really got this for my boys to help me with so "they" (my sons) can go fishing in their own boat. I got another project going but more detailed and I don't wanna get that far wrapped up cuz it's a much bigger job. I figured I could get a little more glass experience on this for the boys and they will end up w their own boat. I was just gonna sand the existing paint on the topside and paint white and I remember reading about putting in snap in carpet. I like that idea. gonna replace the decking too. These lists NEVER stop do they? HAHA! Oh yeah guess what? ain't ugly?
Robert

Hydra-sport_Road-kill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey C & L,
I'm so with you on the "I don't really know" answer to what are the plans 'cause I read this forum like I'm a fiber-glassin-wanabe-fool but I'm shopping eBay for what might be a better idea on all days of the week that end in "y" :D

crazy and lazy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well had a good weekend of sanding and grinding. I cut a piece out of the decking to check the stringers and everything was in good shape so I got a couple sheets of plywood to do the decking and found a great deal on some outside carpet from lowe's. Trying to figure out which paint to use. Wanna be some sorta blue or light blue. I don't have spray gun so I'll be trying to roll and brush it on. I don't need to sand all the way down to raw fiberglass or just rough and smooth it out before I start applying the paint right?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Just rough it up and paint it with Rustoleum.