Trim goes down to fast

vwman62

Recruit
I have a 1985 Renken with a 5.0 OMC motor and stern drive. When letting the trim down the drive goes straight down with no stopping. When bringing it back up it comes up and stops when you let off the switch. I addition, I
keep blowing trim motor fuses. I have looked at all of the wiring and it seems good.

Thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trim goes down to fast

I assume this is a stringer OMC drive. Stringers need to be tilted down slowly which means it needs to be done in a few steps so that it doesn't bang down. Just a small jab on the switch gets that drive moving and it takes a while for it to stop. Is that what you mean? Conversely, on the way up, you actually have to hold the switch the whole time because you are working against gravity.

vwman62

Recruit

Yes it is a stringer OMC and yes once you hit the switch for it to go down it goes straight down. Is this normal?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you just jab the switch very quickly, it should not go all the way down unless the switch is sticking. If the switch is sticking, you will have a bretty loud bang when it hits bottom.

There is a clutch pack that could allow the sterndrive to coast more if you are hitting the switch momentarily. If this clutch pack is bad, you will also have a problem with the stern drive rising if you go in reverse with more than just idle throttle.