Question about the "drive" cable and the "throttle" cable??? (Adjust or Replace?)

rhillman75

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Question about the "drive" cable and the "throttle" cable??? (Adjust or Replace?)

I have been having some issue with my 96 Mercruiser 4.3LX Thunderbolt IV for the last 2 weeks now. When I have it in the water and running I have noticed that there is some "slop" in the throttle cable (probably about a 1/4 inch) When I am out running at 1/4 or 1/2 throttle and I come to slow down... it seems as though the engine contiues to idle high then when the cable "relaxes" itself it returns to normal idle of about 700 rpm. I had my wife drive it with the hatch up while I was back watching the movement and sure enough... it would hang up until I reached back on the cable and wiggled it up and down then it returned to normal idle. I have tried to mount it on the back barrel first and then I tried pushing in on the end and it did not improve. I then tried pulling it out and when it started it went to about 2,000 rpms. I think I have tried everything from oiling the cable to just lining up the cable attachment points then backing of 4 turns... but as I said before... if the cable is on the back mounting point and you pull on the end you get a visible 1/4 inch of movement. My other question is the drive cable... it works great when in forward but if I go to shift into reverse... it is TIGHT and needs to be "nursed" so it doesn't take off in reverse "hard" when it engages.