Trim/Tilt Problem

Waytam

Cadet
I have a Mercruiser 5.0 with an Alpha 1 drive. When I trim the out drive the radio shuts off. When I release the trim button the radio will come back on. Any thoughts on what might cause to happen? Everthing was working fine before the boat sat up this past winter. I have two new batteries so that is not the problem. Also the trim gauge is not working but has power to it.

burp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trim/Tilt Problem

The outdrive should be powered directly from one of the batteries as they draw a lot of current when operated. High current draw will also cause the battery voltage to drop momentarily when the trim is operated. I'd bet the stereo is going in to low voltage protection and shutting down when the trim is operated due to the low voltage level at the stereo.

Have you switched the battery switch to the other position to see if the stereo problem occurs with both batteries? Both batteries fully charged?

Trim gauge problems are usually caused by the wiring from the trim position sending unit mounted on the gimbal ring or the trim position sending unit itself.

Waytam

Cadet

This problem did not start until this year after the boat sat up for the winter. Prior to this summer everything had been working fine.

The outdrive is powered directly from one battery. Both batteries are fully charged. Both batteries are new and i had them tested and are both good. this happens no matter what position the battery switch is in.

I put a hand held voltage meter on the battery directly connected when the boat is off and was reading 12.8 volts. When the boat is running I am reading 14.8 and when the trim is engaged with the boat running I am reading 13.5. Also when the trim is engaged the needle on the boats volt gauge drops way down. This does not happen on the hand held volt meter at the battery though it only drops to 13.5 which I think is what it should be reading.

burp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Measure the voltage at the back of the stereo and run the trim up/down. If different from that measured at the battery itself, then inspect the power & ground wires/connections from the battery to the helm. Look for loose connections or corrosion starting to form. Your voltage gauge at the helm is also indicating the voltage drop occurs. Sony stereo units go into the protection mode around 10.5 volts.

Any chance you have added or changed electronics at the helm? Too small gauge wiring will also cause a voltage drop to occur when current demand increases. This is often seen with the stereo when the volume level is increased. The stereo cuts out at higher volume levels but works fine at a lower volume level.

mwnitz

Seaman Apprentice

I have exactly the same problem. Exact! Although I only have one battery on my 2006 Ebbtide with a 3.0 L. With ignition off I am getting 12.12 volts. Lowering the trim drops me to 9.8 volts. I will start looking at connections and wires from the battery to the helm per burp's recommendation.

Waytam

Cadet

I disconnected the stereo from the battery and the voltage gauge still dropped all the way down. I forgot to mention the fuel gauge drops to empty like the key is off. I removed the stereo wires to the batteries as well as the battery cables to both batteries while the boat was running. The boat runs normal with out any cabels or wires running to the batteries. Even with the nothing connected to the batteries the voltage gauge drops all the way done as well as the fuel gauge when the trim is engaged.

I am wondering if the problem could be a short in the trim indicator or the trim sending unit. I check all the wiring connection in the boat and it all looks like new. I did not see any corrosion on anything. The boat only has about 180 hrs on it in fresh wateer.

burp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Waytam, The trim gauge is easy to test. There should be a power, ground, and signal wire connection on the backside of the gauge. You need a ground to the gauge and 12 volts power. The "S" (signal) connection is the wire which comes from the trim sending unit on the outdrive. Drop the "S" wire off the gauge and connect a 10 ohm or so resistor between the ground and "S" connections, the gauge should indicate a trim down indication. Change the resistor to 40 ohms and it should indicate around mid trim. Change the resistor to around 160 ohms and it should indicate a full up indication. Using a variable resistor of suitable resistance would work as well and the gauge should move smoothly as the resistance is varied. Personally, the trim gauge and sending unit will not be the cause of your problem with the stereo.