Suprised by US Custom's Politeness

hostage

Lieutenant
I went to Canada (2hr trip) this past weekend on a drift dive (scuba diving and flowing with the current) on the Niagra River. Going across the boarder to Canada was quick and they charged us $3. On the way back the line was much longer and I was expecting the typical calyst custom's offical, so I pull up and the guy starts asking the typical questions and then seems very intersted when we told him we just got done with a day trip Niagra drift dive. He told us that he was a diver and shot the breeze for a minute or two. After being suprised by his politeness I started to wonder if he was generally interested or just quizing us. In either case it wasn't as an intimiating of an event as it normally is.

On a side note, I wonder why the US side doesn't charge $3 bucks for entry.

-Hostage

sasto

Captain
Re: Suprised by US Custom's Politeness

I have filled up one passport and working on the 2nd. I've checked in many times returning from Canada or the Carib. Everytime doing so I have had the pleasure of saying every Customs Officer I ever met was professional and courteous.

Glad you had the same expierence, hostage.

Fly Rod

Commander

Have been across the border to Canada several times and never had a problem crossing. Been to the Bahamas many times and never had a problem there either.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Always been polite with me as well.

Besides being how they probably are anyway, it probably helps being nice to find people that are doing no good. If you are polite, it will keep all the honest people at ease while the people that are hiding something will be aggitated. If they weren't polite, everyone would be agitated!

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Never heard of a $3- charge to enter Canada.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Never heard of a $3- charge to enter Canada.

Think they are calling it a passenger inspection fee, in response to a proposed fee by the US.

"The United States government is considering the introduction of a ?passenger inspection? fee (PIF) of $5.50 U.S. for all commercial air and marine travellers who enter the U.S. from Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. The fee would not apply to automobile traffic."

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Think they are calling it a passenger inspection fee, in response to a proposed fee by the US.

"The United States government is considering the introduction of a ?passenger inspection? fee (PIF) of $5.50 U.S. for all commercial air and marine travellers who enter the U.S. from Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. The fee would not apply to automobile traffic."

Oh. OK...Air travel taxes/fees etc are out of control....:), but I thought the OP was in a motor vehicle. My mistake.

Philthyphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the 3 dollars is to cross the bridge, only charge one way cause your going to be going back probably and less tool booths an staff that way