What to look for when considering buying a 1983 Johnson 60 HP?

kayaker58

Cadet
Hey guys -- another newbie question: I'm going to look at a 1983 60 HP Johnson later this week, and I need to know what to look for. Model # J60ELCTB. I've read through the secret files, and I think I understand how to do a quick compression test. What else do I want to look for? Are there any warning signs that should cause me to run away? Does this engine have a particular reputation, either good or bad? Assuming it's in good condition, what is this motor worth? The seller says he wants $1200, but I assume he would be willing to come down.

Your help will be very much appreciated!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: What to look for when considering buying a 1983 Johnson 60 HP?

Good compression, spark and no water in the lower unit, everything else can be fixed. In my area that is quite a bit for a 28 year old engine. For that price make sure you get all of the controls.

BonairII

Commander

For $1200 bucks, you'd better be able to eat off that engine! JMO

kayaker58

Cadet

Does $800 sound more reasonable, or is that still too high?

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer

To give you an idea, there is a guy on CL in my neck of the woods with a '78 115 hp with controls runs like a top for $450, while I think that is a fantastic price, I think 800 still may be a little high, does yours come with controls?

mark1961

Ensign

Another thing to check for is any deterioration of the motor wiring harness......cracked insulation and corrosion in the wire strands......the only proper way to fix it is to replace the harness which ranges in cost from $100 up to $130 depending on where you go......its an easy enough fix though so dont let it put you off, use it as a bargaining tool along with anything else you think you can live with.

I would want working power tilt and trim on it for that sort of money which it does not appear to have according to the model number.

dc095

Seaman Apprentice

if the guy talks without taking a breath while telling you about the motor. run

jbjennings

Captain

I personally don't find that too out of bounds on price------but for that kind of money, I'd want a lake test. As said, after the test run (NOT just on the muffs--they all run great on the muffs), check compression, lower unit oil, and spark. It should run perfectly for that kind of money on a boat, in the lake.
A new 60hp outboard as you know, is really high. If the used 60hp is in good shape cosmetically and runs great, how could it NOT be worth $1200?
JMO,
JBJ

kayaker58

Cadet

The seller says he will include the controls for $800. I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow. I'd like the price to be a couple hundred less, but if it appears to be in very nice condition I may buy it for that price.

Haffiman

Commander

The most important is not to let the seller talk, but the engine!!
Have it started.
Immediately put your hand on top of the cylinder and notice the heat build up until you may hardly hold your hand.
Temp should stabilize.
If running on muffs, have the idle rpm adjusted down to 8-900, the engine should still keep on running smooth. (This is where only timing advance controls the rpm)
If not, walk away!!
Check for exhaust leaks from top and exhaust cover.
Check for cracked fuel hoses and sweaty connections.
Check for discoloring of exhaust cover and cylinder that might indicate a previous overheat.
Pull the spark pluggs and check for even brownish color.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

The seller says he will include the controls for $800. I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow. I'd like the price to be a couple hundred less, but if it appears to be in very nice condition I may buy it for that price.

OK make up your mind, first you say it was $1200 and now you say $800 if he throws in the controls. At this rate ask the guy to throw in a boat and see if it gets even cheaper!!!!!

A few things to think about when buying used motors.

1. The price is always going to be affected by the region you live in due to supply and demand so to speak. A 1985 70HP Evinrude for example will not cost the same in New Mexico as it does in Minnesota.

2. Receipts for repairs and maintenance speak volumes. Hearing "My neighbor did it" does not hold any value.

3. With or without controls can be a big deal if you don't have a compatible set, they often cost more separately.

4. If you can't see it run on the lake then it's usually best to walk away, unless you are buying it from a person that you know you can trust.

5. Bread ties, duct tape, have no place on a motor......

6. If holding a lit match near the motor makes the seller nervous, you can bet it has a fuel leak!!!!