water in cylinders-2001 mercruiser 4.3 alpha

LarryLiss

Recruit
My engine would periodically loose power and then it shut down and would not start. Took to a marine mechanic who found water in 3 cylinders. He repaired flappers that were not preventing back flow. Boat then ran well for 4 outings then same problem, i.e. loosing power and would not start. Any suggestions?

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: water in cylinders-2001 mercruiser 4.3 alpha

If there is no water in the oil, I am betting its time to replace the engine manifold gaskets (complete set)

cr2k

Captain

rbh: Are you thinking the intake is leaking?

If it is not the flappers, and other then the exhaust manifolds having an internal hole, could be the elbow gasket, but that should have been replaced with the flapper job. Exhaust to block gaskets only seal exhaust gasses. Could be head gaskets. Have you done a compression check?

rbh

Fleet Admiral

rbh: Are you thinking the intake is leaking?

If it is not the flappers, and other then the exhaust manifolds having an internal hole, could be the elbow gasket, but that should have been replaced with the flapper job. Exhaust to block gaskets only seal exhaust gasses. Could be head gaskets. Have you done a compression check?

OOPS, forgot to put in exhaust (had a bad gasket at the elbow, liked to flood out # 8 hole)

TilliamWe

Banned

water in the cylinders of a marine engine is an exhaust manifold issue first. That's where i would start. Intake manifold is also a possibility. Head gasket is the 'least' likely source.