94 omc king corbra slipping

mike49686

Recruit
Hi, I have been a user and been getting some good info from this site just never registered until now. I have a 1994 believed to be a king cobra outdrive. When you put it in gear it seems like its slipping i thought it might be a cone clutch but apparently there is not one on the king cobra. does anybody have any ideas on where to start looking? Thanks!

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: 94 omc king corbra slipping

Could be just the prop hub slipping, put a scratch mark on the prop and hub, make it do the slip then check to see if the marks still line up.

UtahFourWinn

Cadet

Hello,
I have a 95 king cobra. Mine has a cone clutch. I had to replace last year after having a hard time getting into neutral. Then lost reverse. Previous owner said it was throttle assembly, then shift cables. After replacing all that it shifted great with no load. Soon as it was in the water, same thing. Unfortunately, I already assumed it was fixed and had bought it. Fixed now and shifts great. Good luck.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Hi, I have been a user and been getting some good info from this site just never registered until now. I have a 1994 believed to be a king cobra outdrive. When you put it in gear it seems like its slipping i thought it might be a cone clutch but apparently there is not one on the king cobra. does anybody have any ideas on where to start looking? Thanks!

Howdy, Welcome aboard.

You'll need to provide a little more info........Like the model number.

OMC offered 2 types of (cone-clutch and dog-clutch) drives in from 1993 to 1994.

You could have a 93 model because Four Winns (and most manufacturers) frequently use "last Years model" engines and drives in their boats.

Have a look at http://epc.brp.com to find your sterndrive year and model number. You have either a 93 or 94 model.

Your immediate problem could be a slipping prop hub like suggested above or a failing coupler. If it's the latter, it won't slip for long. It will fail completely very soon.

Otherwise it might be a internal problem in the drive.

It could also be a shift cable adjustment problem but that won't last long either. popping out of gear usually damages (permanently) the shift dogs......it's especially damaging if it does it at high power settings (like anywhere above idle) If that's what it happening, DO NOT let it do it for very long or you WILL be rebuilding/replacing the drive!!

Regards,

Rick

mike49686

Recruit

The model # is 868073 and serial # T00783054. checked for hub slipping and that doesnt seem to be the case. Whats its doing exactly is you have to give it quite a bit of throttle before it starts to move and it still seems like the engine is reving higher than it should be when it finally (kicks in) there is no grinding or popping out of gear. i turn the prop by hand while its in gear and i feel a little resistaince but its far from feeling locked. it catches when i have it in reverse but while driving it does seem to slip a little in reverse but nothing like forward. Thanks again for your help and advice

mike49686

Recruit

Howdy, Welcome aboard.

You'll need to provide a little more info........Like the model number.

OMC offered 2 types of (cone-clutch and dog-clutch) drives in from 1993 to 1994.

You could have a 93 model because Four Winns (and most manufacturers) frequently use "last Years model" engines and drives in their boats.

Have a look at http://epc.brp.com to find your sterndrive year and model number. You have either a 93 or 94 model.

Your immediate problem could be a slipping prop hub like suggested above or a failing coupler. If it's the latter, it won't slip for long. It will fail completely very soon.

Otherwise it might be a internal problem in the drive.

It could also be a shift cable adjustment problem but that won't last long either. popping out of gear usually damages (permanently) the shift dogs......it's especially damaging if it does it at high power settings (like anywhere above idle) If that's what it happening, DO NOT let it do it for very long or you WILL be rebuilding/replacing the drive!!

Regards,

Rick
Okay i guess this unit does have a cone clutch in it. guess i was looking at the wrong diagram. Im having troubles finding finding a part number for it though. can someone give me an idea on how to find it? i did check to see if it was engaging all the way and it looks like it is.

UtahFourWinn

Cadet

Mike, I called a four winns dealer. They got me the correct part number, then shopped around. Still bought it from local shop, due to time constraints. I paid $390.00 for part.
Michelle