1997 Johnson 90 V-4

danglinangler

Recruit
Yesterday when coming back from fishing my boat started losing power. If I pumped the primer ball the engine ran fine. We made it back to port with my buddy occaasionally pumping the the ball when he heard the engine losing power.The engine idled fine. Any ideas? Thanks for looking. Dan

etracer68

Ensign
Re: 1997 Johnson 90 V-4

It could be the fuel pump, or blockage in the fuel line, or filter. I think there is a way to check the pressure on the fuel pump. Someone else may help with this. Do you have a factory service manual?, if not, then I would get one.

danglinangler

Recruit

I have a service manuel. I pulled the airbox to see if I could see any leaking lines that could cause loss of suction. Everything fine. I see that the fuel filter is a screw in type. However if the filter was blocked then I doubt that the fuel could get through it even with the primer ball. I believe there is a way to check fuel pump pressure. The fuel pump is $438. If I have to replace it o.k., I just don't want to replace it and have the same problem. I'll let you know in a few days what the diagnosis is. Thanks. Dan

petryshyn

Commander

if the filter was blocked then I doubt that the fuel could get through it even with the primer ball.

The primer ball can easily force fuel through a compromised filter that will hinder a fuel pump. Don't disregard the filter. You likely have a "vapor separator" on that model. Read up on the vapor pump and float system.
While it is certainly possible that the EMS pump has failed, be sure that the "supply of fuel" to it is proper before condemning it....