Trim Limit Switches replaced with Sierra 18-7633 Trim Sender

beechhouse

Cadet
Has anyone replaced a merc trim limit or position switch with a Sierra 18-7633 Trim Sender. Mine are the old style with screws on the stitch (non sealed). I want to replace the switches without tearing the bell housing off the boat, has anyone just replaced the switches and if so does this sierra kit allow you to do this without having to run the wires through the bell housing.

It's an old boat and I don't want to tear it apart. The issue I am having is that the engine will only trim up with the trailer switch, trims down fine with the throttle switch but only up with the trailer switch.

All the fuses and wires look OK so I am assuming it is the limit switch.

Any advice?

natemoore

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trim Limit Switches replaced with Sierra 18-7633 Trim Sender

Send them back! My trim limit switch crapped out after just a few trips out. Buy OEM!

This was such an intrusive and involved repair that I'm loathe to do it again. There is a way to rewire your control's trim switch to bypass the trim limit sender and just use the up/down switch. This is what I did after my trim limit sender quit working...two or three months after I installed it. I think Don S. has the wiring diagram handy.

I don't think anyone here would advise you to splice the wires, although I have used those heat-shrink marine crimp connectors inside the boat. Not sure how they'd do outside in the water.

beechhouse

Cadet

I have to agree, I hate buying aftermarket, they never work as well. I still have not bought anything. I went and re-adjusted the limit switch and it seems to be working. Not sure however for how long it will continue to operate...

I dread the thought of tearing the bell housing off after I just replaced all of the bellows.

We will see what happens.

scoflaw

Ensign

Look at the wires on the switch you just bought. 2 black wires, running together. Look behind your motor on the transom,for these same 2 black wires, just above your drive shaft, and locate the 2 connectors. connect these 2 wires together. Your trim button should now work.