motor guide trolling motors

bobby7

Cadet
hey guys I just i purchased a tracker twx 175 aluminum bass boat with a 75 hp mercury on back end, my issue is the front end, the 46 pound trolling motor with hard wirriing. As soon as I lift my foot of the pedal the motor turns 180 degrees, or in rough water it is almost imposible to control as the pedal is so sensitive to foot movement! Anybody got ideas or has had this issue no adjustements to be found for pedal or motor:mad:!!

Bob From Montreal QC

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: motor guide trolling motors

There should be a tension adjustment if this is a cable steered motor. If it is electric steer there may be an electrical issue.

bobby7

Cadet

hey thanks, electrical I guess, motor guide 46 pounds with cable foot pedal,when motor is shut off it doesn`t move so i have to presume electrical!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Look at the pedal. Cable steered motors have two cables that perform a push-pull function. There are no cables between the foot pedal and the motor on an electric steer. There are only electrical wires which control and electric motor which does the steering. So lets try again. Electric steer or cable steer.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

My MG has one cable w rack and pinion in the motor head. It was stiff and noisy to turn until I found a couple of ball bearings had fallen out of the lower bearing race. I repaced the balls and greased (there was none before)tightened the shaft in the bearings and now its just as you describe it spins easily and wags back and forth as the boat and my foot rolls w the waves . I dont know how to tighten this up but maybe repaceing the peddle pivot bushings might stiffen it up?

bobby7

Cadet

electric steer I guess.....no cables its 2011 edition brand new, if you look at tracker .com it comes with the 175txw bass tracker....still no luck its driving me nuts.......thanks silvertip

bobby7

Cadet

that exacly what i had in mind, it a shaft that goes from one side of the pedal to the other so take away the shaft and replace with nut and bolt??

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You keep saying there are no cables. If this unit is electric steer, tightening the pedal will not solve the issue. The pedal operates switches that activate the steering motor which turns the motor. Electric steer MotorGuides are "wireless remote" foot pedals. So this unit is either a "wired electric steer or a cable steer". Posting a model number for this Motor Guide troller would be a great help (or at least a picture of the foot pedal so we can determine what you have.

bobby7

Cadet

ok there is a cable and is is not like my previous minkota where when you pressed the pedal you could hear the motor that would turn the shaft, this one if if move pedal foward th shaft turn to right if I move it backwards its the opposite with no noise.

If motor is shut off on the foot pedal its doenst move anymore! there alot of picture on trackerboats .com but I cannot copy them over...sorry man on on the web its the 46 pounds freshwater, no number it just pop up the motor when you type in motorguide 46 pounds.

msgcoons

Cadet

Find my 46lb unit very touchy,so i have my son run it,heses it just find..Lots patience..

larlarsa

Petty Officer 3rd Class

let me introduce my little idea that may also help with other people,it coast under 5 bucks,this may work on my Motoguide trolling motor,it may also work on other cable steering foot control model,i use a rubber hose connector 1' to 1"1/2 (find in home depot ) and two SS clamp,cut from the middle, put it between the trolling motor shaft bearing,tight the upper clamp as you can,adjust the lower clamp for tension,this will let you control the torque of the steering,even when you set in the WOT,better control in rough water condition.

Attachments

• pvcreducingcoupling_165065.jpg
    pvcreducingcoupling_165065.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1 911.jpg
    1 911.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1 906.jpg
    1 906.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 0

bobby7

Cadet

thats a good idea i had used electrical tape on the joint but this is much better! thanks