Motorcycle battery

HBED

Recruit
Hi.
Have any one tryed to use a motorcykel battery for outboard use? I have a 35 hp Johnson from 1988 and think to use a mmc battery to save space and weight. So could it work?
:) "looking on the bright side of life"

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Motorcykel battery

Welcome to iboats.

I don't htink I would use a motorcycle battery just because they are so small and have a small reserve, if you don't start right away you are stranded or if you forget to charge it.

It would work as they are both 12 volt but the lack of reserve would worry me personnally then again I have 3 batteries on my boat, 2 house and a starter and I am able to jump the house batteries to start if need be, really don't like being stranded.

Nathan k

Seaman

As long as you got one that could hold enough charge then i think it should be okay for a few starts.

i would suggest staying away from the racing batterys though, they may be light but unless you can start on the button your going to have problems with charge.

to be honest i would just get a pull start on a 35hp.

nwcove

Admiral

dont worry about saving weight and space when it comes to your battery......worry about saving your butt! get a deep cycle marine battery.

Midnight Krawler

Seaman Apprentice

I don't know about using a motorcycle battery, but look at what is used in a jetski.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

To start my 25 Evinrude I use a garden tractor battery. It only weighs 15 pounds and costs about 40 bucks.
I think a MC battery would be a little TOO small for regular use.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If the motor is fitted with manual start you only need the battery to load the alternator.
and maybe to run the primer. If the motor is in excellent tune a small batterty should be able to start easily.

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

Years ago I had a friend who did just that, used a motorcycle battery on a 25 Horse Evinrude. He used it that way for at least two years (maybe longer) before I lost track of him. He never had any trouble.

nwcove

Admiral

Years ago I had a friend who did just that, used a motorcycle battery on a 25 Horse Evinrude. He used it that way for at least two years (maybe longer) before I lost track of him. He never had any trouble.

L.A.S ? M.IA.? if a motorcycle wont start, you can call a cab, if your boat wont go.....in a bad situation......someone else calls in a missing person(s) report. unless you boat in a pond, get a real marine battery.

dwco5051

Commander

The airplane I used to have had a 320 cubic inch engine and the battery for it was the same size as a small tractor battery and weighed only just a hair over 20 pounds as I recollect. I don't remember the model # of the battery but I do know the tractor battery would give the same performance as the aviation rated battery for about 40% of the cost. May be a reliable weight reducing choice than the cycle battery.

foodfisher

Captain

I believe airplane engines are tiptop shape and ready to go. Not much for a battery to do. If a battery fails you won't get stranded.

j_martin

Admiral

If a 35 doesn't electric start, you pull the rope. If it doesn't start then, a Mack truck battery isn't going to start it.

I've seen a lawn mower battery start a drag boat with a V6 merc on it. Boat was a winner that day.

HBED

Recruit

Thanks every one. My outboard has a electric start and I have an mc battery with solarcell charger for the pump with level switch. Thats why I get the ide yo use a similar battery for the starter. I will se if I simply try with the battery I have. I will report the result.

:) /H?kan