15 HP Evinrude fuel problems

superflydudebike

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1986 Evinrude 15 HP. I went to use it for first ime this year and although I got it going, it ran really rough. I tested it with muffs on, not in tank, so I did not run it in gear, just neutral. I cleaned plugs and played with the idle mixture a bit and it ran better. I took it out to lake and it would not start. When it finally started, it would choke off when I put it into gear. When I got home, I checked to see if I was getting proper spark. Spark was good. Gas (10% ethanol) is from last season, but I put some stabilizer in it last fall. Could this be the culprit? Also, this model has a kill button at end of throttle grip. It screws out. Is this a fine tuning of some sort? Could the switch be bad causing it not to start at times? I screwed it out at lake and this was first sign of any spark all night (able to start engine). Way to disconnect kill switch? Plugs are about two years old, but very little use. I pulled them out at lake to see if flooded. Was not flooded. New plugs and new gas? Why does kill switch screw out?

Haffiman

Commander
Re: 15 HP Evinrude fuel problems

First of all, drop the muffs and get it in a drum of water, level 2" (min) above the gearcase /leg split.
The adjustment at the tiller is an idle stop adjustment.
To disconnect the kill-switch, pull appart the wire coming from tiller to the power pack. (one goes to power-pack, the other to ground).

superflydudebike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Could you please explain more about the idle stop adjustment. If screwed all the way out, will it cut out at a higher idle or lower idle? Is it better to transport boat with fuel tank connected or disconnected? I disconnected fuel tank line transporting boat to lake. Also, will tilting motor up for launching, affect starting procedure? Is it possible float is getting stuck?

fireman57

Captain

you need to have it in thedown position when you start it. Trailering on tilt lets the fuel run out of the carb. Put it in the down position and pump the primer bulb until firm and she should start. Might have to choke it a little.

Haffiman

Commander

Below is a breakdown of your handle.
Turning the end-knob clockwise (IN), increases rpm, and out decrease.
However due to tear and wear, even the trunnion #32 has to be adjusted. (a plastic ball, just inside the lower cover)
Adjust the trunnion so the engine just runs in idle with the knob all out.
Be careful, easy to break some screws if corroded!!!!
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...ection=Steering+Handle+&+Throttle+Control

superflydudebike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The trunnion ball is missing. I have the Canadian model (CE15RCDE). Is there a different set up for this model?

superflydudebike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm starting to think that the problem is with the kill switch. As I move the end knob in and out, the kill stitch gap between button and contact seems to widen. Is there a spring that causes button to pop back out? I'M THINKING THAT FOR A LOT OF THE TIME SPENT TRYING TO START ENGINE ON LAKE, I WAS IN OFF ENGINE MODE (GROUNDED OUT).

Haffiman

Commander

Browse the same page I sent earlier and your mod number, the set-up should be the same. Have you tested disconnecting the switch?

superflydudebike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Will try disconnecting switch. No trunnion to be found. Broke off? Can I simply turn rod where it meets ball and socket joint with pliers?

Haffiman

Commander

You must in some way be able to 'lock' the outer sleeve of the cable, which is done by the ball/trunnion.
How is that done just inside your lower cover?
Got a pic to post?

superflydudebike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, I now see it. How to adjust? Clockwise vs. counterclockwise? Penetrating oil before loosening screw?

Haffiman

Commander

Turn the knob at the handle all the way IN, the cable will be extended to the max and that should be the lowest setting.
If you need to increase the rpm, turn the ball so it gets closer to the end of the cable.
It is a try end error or try and succeed whichever way you like to look at it.
I used to remove the recoil starter to get some working space when doing it, and then just a rope on the flywheel when starting for test.
If removing the recoil starter, be sure to 'hold it together' so the spring does not jump out. Keep the big center bolt in, and secure it with a tie-strap underneath when removed.

superflydudebike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did two things. Put into barrel and adjusted rich/lean while running in forward gear per manual that I have. Also disconnected ground wire from kill switch. It seems like both were issues. Engine is running better. I can kill engine with choke. Idles well. Left trunnion alone. May take to lake tomorrow for test. Thanks for input.