18' Champion 1995 150 HP Evinrude Intruder proper prop

AUFISHN

Recruit
This boat has been with me a long time and its time for a new prop, it came with a 13.5 X 23 4 blade Renegade stainless steel # 176058. 15 spline

I have been pleased with its performance, but have always had tight steering at top end, I believe due to the torque of this prop. The boat easily goes 65 MPH and stays just on the high side of the recommended RPM of 4500-5500 RPM.

I fish tournaments and would like a less expensive three or four blade option that would ease out the top end steering and still have some speed, I'm looking to you experts to help , be gentle this is my first post in Iboats and any help is appreciated. As with everything these days LOW price options are good............

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 18' Champion 1995 150 HP Evinrude Intruder proper prop

Welcome,Your setup seems to be working but for the steering.
Tight steering? Do you mean it is just harder to steer or it pulls harder one way?
Have you adjusted the trim tab? You may have to make a steering change.
power steering or no feedback steering.I don't have any steering suggestions unfortunately
but maybe in the boat topics they refer to steering solutions?
The motor steering pivot may be worn or need lube.
As far as the prop change If your prop is just dinged up it can be repaired.
Going from ss to al makes it nearly impossible to predict results and al. isn't going to deliver as much all around performance.
The al Turning point Hustler can deliver close to ss performance but seems to be unpredictable even when going from al to al.
There are dealers that will let you try different props with a sizeable deposit and your intention to buy the prop that works for you.

AUFISHN

Recruit

No feedback steering and have adjusted the trim tabs, thought about a torque tamer but that is going to be a last resort, the boat steers hard at top end mainly in one direction but still tough both ways , nothing you cant live with just enough to make you think somethings wrong, all new steering components, good mechanics check, on water and off so not mechanical. So Back to prop, just to many choices , I believe you have a good suggestion to try different sizes, I will keep you posted. Thank you

SparkieBoat

Captain

I am not sure a different prop would make much difference..you need hydrolic steering.