1974 v-182 Crestflite Ford 302

jpettinga

Recruit
We just bought this boat a few weeks ago. From a co-worker :( He said that the engine runs great and that the boat has a small leak somewhere. That wasnt the only thing leaking! We got it in the water and about an hour into our trip the engine started on fire. We aired it out really well and drove it back to the dock. Nothing seemed to be damaged. My husband fixed the leak in the carb and we went out again the next day. It started up and we were on our way. About an hour later there was so much water in the bottom of the boat that it bogged down the engine and wouldnt start. So we pumped the water out and drove it back to the dock. We replaced the Carb- with a new Holley and it wanted to turn over but the battery died. The next thing we replaced was the fuel pump. But, we couldnt find the same marine fuel pump so we put in a auto fuel pump as a replacement. (now I hear that this can cause the boat to blow). Boat still wont start. And now all of the electrical will on and then turn compleatly off even with a battery charger attached to the battery. What is going on with this boat!!! Any Idea's Does anyone know where we can get a marine fuel pump for this boat.

singlesupra

Banned
Re: 1974 v-182 Crestflite Ford 302

It sounds to me like you need to step back, figure out ROOT causes and PROPER. fixes. Throwing money(parts) at any machine is never the answer, reguardless if it. floats, glides, or flys or runs on gas, diesel or horsepiss. Its just a machine at the end of the day

jpettinga

Recruit
Re: 1974 v-182 Crestflite Ford 302

We have fixed the water and gas leak (Carb). Which was the original problem. I guess there is a learning curve. So far it feels like all we have been doing is throwing parts at this boat. So far we have replaced the Carb, spark plugs, water pump, solenoid, starter. It is starting to turn over again but the ground was running hot . So, now I am going to clean up the ground wire to give it a good connection and switch the solenoid back to the original. I am pretty sure that the new solenoid got fried because of the bad connection. Battery is good I guess we will see what happends next. If this doesnt work I am dropping it off at a shop!