Honda bf8 dies

xmarine85

Recruit
Having problems with my Honda bf8 (2004), just recently has been dieing after running for 30 minutes or so. Just changed the plug but still happens. Not good with small engines, any help would be appreciated. Carburator?

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Honda bf8 dies

Sounds like your BF8 is dying from fuel starvation for the motor to initially run well, yet consistently die after about 30 minutes. You may be may be pulling a vacuum in your fuel system.

Are you using a portable fuel tank? Is the gas tank vent in your gas cap open? Is it not clogged? Is your fuel line primer bulb collapsing?

If you're drawing fuel from a built-in tank, try a portable tank (with vent open). If the problem goes away, see if the check valve of the built-in tank is clogged/sticky.

Good luck.

xmarine85

Recruit

You're probably onto the problem. The bulb feels wierd when priming for startup. I'll check out that system. Thanks for the help.

Xmarine85

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class

You're welcome xmarine85. I'm happy to possibly be of some help. Please post what you find in the end so all can learn; thank you.

xmarine85

Recruit

I tightened all the gas lines running from the gas tank and water separator filter to the motor and voila, everything seems to be back to normal.I apparently forgot I had loosened the clamps doing some cleaning and maintenance and forgot to get them tightened up good. Thanks for the help guys!!