Help- do I have too much metal shavings or is it normal for Alpha 1?

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
All,
this is a '89 Alpha I gen 1 Mercruiser lower unit. I had suspicions as to what was acceptable as far as metal shavings collecting on the drain screw so I drained some gear lube as part of a mid season inspection. When I removed the screws, the bottom screw had quite a bit of what I can only describe as metal paste collecting on it. When I rubbed it between my fingers, it had a texture like graphite lube - no chunks, no hard material, it was really like a metallic paste.

The upper screw had some as well, but not as much as the lower. Attached is a picture of the paste collected on the upper screw. I had already cleaned off the lower by the time it occurred to me to take a photo.

Can you all give me some guidance as to whether this is acceptable or indicative or a larger issue? The boat runs great, no chunks of metal in the gear lube that I drained and no sign of water in the lube.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG00055-20110820-1029.jpg
    IMG00055-20110820-1029.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 3

superbenk

Commander
Re: Analysis of metal "paste" on magnetized screw

I think some is normal, but that looks a bit excessive. Are you letting the clutch dog ratchet a lot when you shift? Are your idle RPMs high?

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think some is normal, but that looks a bit excessive. Are you letting the clutch dog ratchet a lot when you shift? Are your idle RPMs high?

Thanks for the reply. Nope, it goes right into gear quickly and without much ratcheting at all. Without looking, I'd say my idle is around 650 or so but I'll confirm next time I'm out. The boat performs extremely well and without the inspection of the gear oil I wouldn't have thought anything is wrong.

cr2k

Captain

Looks like it is from going too slowly in to gear chipping the teeth OR improper adjustment. Shifting has to be quick and purposeful. Slow shifting will chip the edges of the dogs and show up as larger chips instead of the normal fine particles.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looks like it is from going too slowly in to gear chipping the teeth OR improper adjustment. Shifting has to be quick and purposeful. Slow shifting will chip the edges of the dogs and show up as larger chips instead of the normal fine particles.

Thanks for the response.
When I shift, I try not to shift slowly and I don't recall much ratcheting at all. Also I drained out a significant amount of gear oil and there were no chunks of metal at all, just the very fine paste on the screw, so might I be ok?

Two years ago I had a new shift cable installed due to stalling in between shifts but it seems to work flawlessly now- if the amount of paste is excessive, what is it that would be out of adjustment?

thanks!

thumpar

Admiral

How much more was on the lower screw before you wiped it off?

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

How much more was on the lower screw before you wiped it off?

15-20% more on the bottom than top.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ran the boat today and listened to the ratcheting. When I shift, the ratchet sound is very quiet- in fact I heard it more while behind the boat sitting in the water and waiting to ski than I do from the pilot seat. When I shift I can make out just a few clicks for a very short period of time, maybe about 2-3 at most before the gear fully engages. My father's 2001 stingray ratchets much louder and you can feel the vibrations throughout the boat. Mine is almost silent in comparison. Seems like a plus on the surface but I'm expecting that it might actually be bad news....

FreeBeeTony

Captain

I would venture to say it's normal................

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would venture to say it's normal................

I'm hoping so. When you check your screws at the end of the season what do they look like?

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Similar to your pics.............paste is ok.............big chunks are bad..............in my opinion anyway.............:)

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Similar to your pics.............paste is ok.............big chunks are bad..............in my opinion anyway.............:)

Works for me and thanks for your opinion. Just looking for some education and peace of mind

Brentathon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a Merc Alpha 1 Gen 1 from 2000 to 2007, and my drain plug always looked similar to that.
The reason it finally died, was a severe over-heating episode (eel grass covering intakes), and the super-hot exaust gases must have failed something in it.
My new SE106 has showed less filings, but still some.

tfret

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help- do I have too much metal shavings or is it normal for Alpha 1?

mine looks about like that every year. i don't think it's abnormal. there is going to be some ware and it shows up on the magnets.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Help- do I have too much metal shavings or is it normal for Alpha 1?

Pull the top plate of the drive and look at the top bearing, if it is chipped & pitted, shavings can come from it and the upper gear set.

Overall it looks normal.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I agree 100%, no need to take anything apart. Change the gear lube, and go boating.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thank you all for the replies- I really feel much better about it and look forward to the next launch!