What size battery do I need

staylor57

Cadet
I have a 1973 Starcraft Holiday 14' with a 1957 Johnson 35ho seahorse outboard, What size battery do I need. I do run lights and some other equipment.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: What size battery do I need

I'd get a combo starting/deep cycle or a regular deep cycle for this application. It doesn't have a charging system, so you'll have to top it off after use.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The smallest marine starting battery you can find will suffice.

I wouldn't be using the battery for anything else but starting and running lights, unless you have an alternative for starting it to get home.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That motor has a magneto ignition and a pull starter. If the battery runs down, give her a yank and head home. Marine Deepcycle/starting combo battery would be a good choice. Recharge every couple of weeks as necessary.

MN-WaterGuy

Cadet

Deep Cycle/Starting combo should do it, but I'd keep a pull rope handy if you'll be running much of anything.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

If in proper tune, those engines were a snap to start and you could run a long time on a battery charge if you didn't have anything else running off the battery. Fr-in-law had a 40 rude and he had to charge it so seldom, he would forget and get caught with it low.

Mark