Quadrajet dribble

Speakrdude

Ensign
at idle, 800ish, in gear, I noticed quite a bit of dribble almost spraying of fuel from the venturies on the front two barrels. Does this indicate the float/valve/seat may have trash in it or is it supposed to do that?
It doesn't seem to idle low very smooth. Cold starts are kind of rough. Fires right off, but then dies. Have to pump a couple of time and then its flooded.
I've rebuilt the engine, clean filters everywhere but I have not rebuilt the carb.
Thanks all.

WILSONS88

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Quadrajet dribble

I take it as a 4bbl carb! It is time to rebuild the carb. Replace the float while you are in there. I had issues with mine dribbling during idle. I had to rebuild it twice to get the float adjusted correctly. It also dribbled gas after shut off making it hard to start. I replaced the fuel pump and so far it has quit doing it and idles great.

Speakrdude

Ensign

Yeah, I suppose a little info would be helpful. 90 model 5.7l-Merc., Quadrajet (4 bbl).

I will rebuild.

Is the Rochester quadrajet rebuid kit they sell at the auto parts store they same as quicksilver or any other marine brand? (as long as I give them the carb number)

WILSONS88

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I guess I could have paid more attention the post title huh! Do you have an Oreilly auto parts? I think if I remember right its a sierra kit 18-7095. But get the numbers off the carb to be sure. Cant remember the float number off the top of my head.
The kits could be real close to the same as auto but not 100% sure. Make sure you clean out the passages real good. I used a guitar string to double check all the small passages. Use carb cleaner to squirt through them. When you put the new needle in make sure you do not put the hook through the center hole on the float. It is suppose to rest on the back edge of the float arm not through the hole.

dlplost

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And make sure you set the float level to the instructions that come with the Kit.
I just went thru this with a guy that claimed he had just rebuilt the carb. After several Hours, found out all he had done was replace parts, never did any of the adjustments.

WILSONS88

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes on the Garth Brooks. Where you able to get a rebuild kit?
Set your float level to the specs on the rebuild sheet for starters. I had to set mine about 3/32 below that to keep it from dribbling while it was running.

cr2k

Captain

Does it dribble with the engine off? if so it would probably be the tiny bleed holes on top of the jet venturi block. They are there to prevent siphoning after you shut down.

Speakrdude

Ensign

Havent ever really checked for dribble while off. I will though.
Than