Trim not working...

U.S.S. Too Tall

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We took the boat out on the Au Sable river this last weekend, and had a great time. Found out much about her. Our 1979 MFG Caprice, 140hp OMC, with OMC400 outdrive, got us moving around the lake at damn near 40 mph, around 4200rpm. I think that this is about normal, please tell me if its not. While tooling around, I tried the trim lever on the throttle, and nothing happened. Nothing up or down. While on plane, it sits nicely. I didnt think much about it because I was moving across the water and didnt care. Now that I am home again, I would like to investigate this problem. I thought that the bow came up pretty high before I got on plane, but I dont know what normal would be. Oh, I believe it is a SelecTrim system. Thanks for your help.

U.S.S. Too Tall

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Trim not working...

Yes, it is Select Trim. I found that to get to the trim motor, you basically have to pull the motor. Well, support the front end of it, while you remove the front motor mount and then you have access to the trim motor. Anyone else have a problem with this system, and solved it without pulling the engine?

southkogs

Staff member

Shouldn't need to remove the motor to get to the selectrim motor. I haven't pulled mine yet, so I don't know about the mount entirely. From what I can tell so far, that motor should just unbolt from it's seat and come right out. On mine, I take out my engine cover and seats for easier access. I don't know if I have long enough arms with the dog house on. It functions much like your tilt - if you're not hearing the solenoid "click" start by checking switches and wires, then swap solenoids then yank the motor and have it rebuilt.

40MPH at 4200 sounds great frankly. Your trim might be stopped in it's optimal run setting with a little bow up trim - that's what would cause your bow to come high out of the water on start.

Au Sable River is beautiful. My family's place is on the Au Sable Lake not far from there. I get up that way every couple of years.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

yeah, that motor sits in the bilge - not the best location for DC motor longevity
There is a grease fitting on that worm gear assembly calls for greasing twice per season. Most get greased never per lifetime.
but corroded relay contacts are more common than failed motor. start by cleaning up the wiring and 50A barrel fuse that feeds the trim.

If you need to take the mount out, you can probably lift the engine a touch and support engine front with pieces of lumber under the oil pan or wherever it looks solid to you.

U.S.S. Too Tall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

40MPH at 4200 sounds great frankly.

YES!! lol! I was told that it would get a little bit more speed than that, but when I got the book for the engine and outdrive, I saw that was the rpm range for the engine, so I am happy with that. We took her out this past friday for my buddys Bachelor fishin event, only caught a sunburn, but, with the boat slightly over weight, she got to 30 mph. It just took a LOT longer to get onto plane!

U.S.S. Too Tall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, I think that I will see if I can find that grease fitting and see if I can get the motor out and clean up the connections on it. Thank you guys again for your input. If it was not for this website, I think that I would be sunk! Everyone on here has answered all of my questions so far, no matter how off-the-wall, or silly they may sound to me. Thank you People!!!