Early 90's Johnson 175 lower unit question

SirEnvy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys, I have an early 90's Frankenstein motor. Its a 175 Johnson powerhead...anyway this is irrelevant of my question. I am getting my boat ready for my when my buddy comes down here for vacation. And I ran the motor on the lift today, and noticed that the shaft was steaming/ or smoking!!...its raining now, so anyway, it was really hot to the touch, but I noticed that the "pee hole" was working properly, so I cant imagine my impeller not working. A. Should my shaft from the powerhead to the lower unit be steaming? I dont think it was smoke if it was it was from the exhaust. B. If its hot to the touch, is that normal?

Im pulling the boat out next weekend to do a lower unit oil change, because it hasnt been done in about 2 years. If not longer.

Also, any particular lower unit oil you guys recommend?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Early 90's Johnson 175 lower unit question

I'm puzzled how you can possibly see the drive shaft, if the LU is assembled to the motor. In any case, exhaust is usually routed thru the rear of the midsection, which is the only way I could envision the drive shaft getting heated. And no, the drive shaft should not get hot. In fact, water is usually well up inside the midsection, which would always keep the drive shaft cooled, even if you had a bad exhaust leak.

SirEnvy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I ment the midsection of the motor. Sorry man.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

OK, it shouldn't get that hot. Cooling water, mixed with exhaust comes down the aft side of the midsection and it shouldn't get that hot. The tell tale doesn't tell much, other than the water pump has some output. You may have debris plugging the water passages, diminished water pump capacity, etc. causing less than normal water flow, and elevated discharge water temps. Have you done anything to verify that you have normal block temps (i. e. measured with a heat gun)? Should see ~ 145 to 160? F block temps.

SirEnvy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have not, but that brings up a good point. The midsection, which I am on pure speculation right now, just got hot because the boat was not moving. I will have to borrow a heat gun and see what exactly the temp. is. Assuming normal block temp, is atleast 15 mins of actual moving or WOT. I am just prepping my boat before we spend a week of fishing.