What to do with bad gas?

MattMo

Recruit
Don't think I want to put it in my truck or try to find a place to recycle...I know it's a dumb question but seems a waste of 20+ gallons

2003lsr

Seaman Apprentice
Re: What to do with bad gas?

Use it in your lawn mower, weedeater, etc.. Give it to a landscape business.

doggfather69

Seaman

put it in jugs and add three times the additive call for of Sta Bil. You can get it at most auto parts stores. Some keep it near the lawnmower oil and syuff.

MattMo

Recruit

Don't own a lawn mower but I like the landscaper offer, thanks for the speedy responses!

Have a great weekend

waterinthefuel

Commander

Throw it out! Don't use it in a lawnmower or weedeater!!!!! :facepalm:

Sta bil will not bring bad gas back, it will only preserve good gas. My goodness, where do some people get their information??!??!?

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think his main question is "How do you "throw it out""? Can't just dump it in your sink, or put in glass jars and put in the garbage.

If it is really "old" or if you are unsure how old it is, find your local recycling facility, and ask who takes "hazardous chemical wastes" and when.

If 2 or 3 years old, I would mix with fresh gas and run through a lawn mower. not an expensive mower, but that hold hunk a junk out behind my garage. So I am only out $50 if it goes "KAPUT!"

If in doubt, though, play it safe, and find a recycler or hazardous waste disposal site.

MattMo

Recruit

Update: even the gardener doesn't want it! So it's recyclers or hazardous waste disposal site....

Thanks again!

scooper77515

Or fireworks. Take it out to the desert, lay a LONG thin line of gas to a plant, dump the rest on the plant, toss a match at the thin line. Get the hell out before the cops show up.

Exactly HOW OLD is this stuff?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

A good strong antacid comes to mind!

No, really around here, we use it for fire starter, one cup at a time, other than that you can call your local landfill and see if they have a program to accept chemicals, so they don't end up in the wrong place.

By the way, if it is bad, it is not a waste, the waste occurred long before now.

bigdee

Commander

Does it smell like gas? Or does it smell like paint thinner? If it smells like gas use it as gas, if not recycle. During the gas shortage in the early seventies I bought and stored several thousand gallons in underground tanks and after the shortage we quit using it in our vehicles because it was easier to use the pump at the gas station...we continued to use the stored gas for the farm equipment (tractor and trucks) for 6 years until it ran out! I even ran it in my wife's car several times when she would drive home on empty. But the gas never did smell old. I also have generators that just sit until an emergency and have had the gas go stale and have just dumped good gas on the old and purged the fuel lines,and coaxed it to life with some starting fluid. If you decide to use it just be careful of any water or sediment that may be at the bottom of the container.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

If its just "old" and does not have alcohol/water separation, then mixing it with good gas will make it compatible with cars, tractors, etc. I read this on the Exxon/Mobile website. I think it was 3 or 4 to 1 mix of new:eek:ld. Look on the internet, this is common practice and the save mix ratio should be easy to find.

j_martin

Admiral

Heck, in the 60's we used to covet the "skunk" gas out of junk cars because when mixed with regular, it fired well and didn't knock. Normally the rods we burned it in would need premium.

As far as I'm concerned, if you mix a little fresh gas with it so it has the volatile top needed to ignite, it'll burn fine in any ordinary engine, including fuel injected.

Now, I'm talking old gas, not dirty gas. That's a whole 'nother topic.

woosterken

Lieutenant

put it in cans ,set it out on the curb, with a sign FREE GAS

it will be gone before you get back to the house

woosterken

Steve Marsh

Cadet

Do what I do....Take it with you next time you go boating and tip it in the water.:facepalm:

TilliamWe

Banned

put it in cans ,set it out on the curb, with a sign FREE GAS

it will be gone before you get back to the house

woosterken

I would love to agree with you on that ken, but we all know what would really happen. Some yahoo would take it, put it in their 92 Corolla, with 220,000 miles, that runs PERFECT , and then blow the engine, and sue him for a BRAND NEW engine. Sad but true.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Why am I the only one who's thinking Molotov Cocktails????

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Why am I the only one who's thinking Molotov Cocktails????

Best way to dump it in my book !! :D

Because you're the only pyromaniac?! ;)

I resemble that remark!!! I prefer the term Pyro-Technician!! :D

I would not use that gas in any internal combustion engine at this point.

42O

Cadet

spray it on unwanted weeds...lazy mans way of weed whacking.

scooper77515

spray it on unwanted weeds...lazy mans way of weed whacking.

Then toss a match on it...lazy man's way, with a bit of excitement at the end,