2005 F90LTRD Charging Problem

pbailey

Petty Officer 3rd Class
A few weeks ago we were fishing out of Va Beach. At the dock, my brother took the controls while I jumped off to get the truck. When he put in reverse it quit. I jumped back on and checked the battery voltage as displayed on the Sonar/GPS. Battery voltage was 7.35 V.

Got it home and charged the battery and started. Volt meter indicated 14.85 volts charging. Thinking it might be a bad battery, had it checked, it checked out at 98% of cold crank rating.

I then thought it might be an intermittent problem, so we hit the river. After about 3 miles of 90% throttle, the charging voltage slowly dropped to battery voltage of about 12.7v.

Rectifier felt really hot to me, so I dribbled water over it and within seconds the charging voltage rose to 14.8-ish. Ran it again until the voltage dropped and cooling off the rectifier brought the charging voltage back and I repeated this 4 more times.

Opting for the $90 part seamed like a no brainer, so I ordered a rectifier and installed it this afternoon. Charging voltage is now 14.95-15.00 volts at 2000 rpm. At idle it was 14.89. This appears high to me.

I'm taking it out again tomorrow morning to see if the charging holds. But I would also like to test the stator output, yet I don't know the procedure.

If anyone knows, I would appreciate a how to.

Thanks