Water Intrusion check for 5.8 liter EFI engine 1995????

95Fourwinns5.8

Recruit
Hello people,
This is my first posting and I am new to this site. I recently purchased a 1995 Four Winns 240 open bow inboard outboard boat. I made the mistake and didnt listen to my uncle and get it surveyed. The boat was part of an estate and the owner did start te boat with the ear muffs on, so I know it runs. My delima is I didnt check the boat after it had run to double check the oil and when I got it home I was going through it and the first thing I found was water in the oil. I have since drained the oil and I am going to put new oil in it. The motor is super clean and only used in fresh water. I know one of the questions is was the motor winterized? After cracking the bleeders on the block the answer is most likely no, because there was only fresh water coming out. The boat is in central Texas and we did have a cold snap and I am suspect that either the head or block, or intake has failed.

95Fourwinns5.8

Recruit
Re: Water Intrusion check for 5.8 liter EFI engine 1995????

I have not started breaking the engine down yet because I want to try to identify what has failed. I have purchased a compression testor and a leakdown testor. I just want to identify the problem if it keeps me from going through the whole motor. I have rebuilt several automitive engines, I just dont want to pull it if I dont have to. Any help would be appreciated. Tahnks in advance.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

I know one of the questions is was the motor winterized? After cracking the bleeders on the block the answer is most likely no, because there was only fresh water coming out.

Did you crack the bleeders before or after you ran it on muffs? I'd do what you're doing and change the oil, then try again. Funny stuff happens to boats that sit and it doesn't necessarily mean a cracked block.

95Fourwinns5.8

Recruit

Did you crack the bleeders before or after you ran it on muffs? I'd do what you're doing and change the oil, then try again. Funny stuff happens to boats that sit and it doesn't necessarily mean a cracked block.

I checked the bleeders after it ran. I HIGHLY doubt it was winterized. My brother who is also pretty handy with a wrench said he highly doubts it is a cracked block. I will put some new oil in it this weekend and fire her up again. I think I will feel better once I know what has to be done. My wife is not a happy camper. She will be once I get it sorted out. The rest of the boat is great. I makes a great lawn ornament!

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

If you cracked the bleeders after you ran it on muffs you would see water. It would only be a somewhat valid check had you not run it on muffs. Others here know wya more thn me but a freeze damaged block could be cracked in the valley under the intake. No way to know for sure without removing the intake.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Don't take anything apart until you pressure test the cooling passages of the block.

95Fourwinns5.8

Recruit

Bruce,
Thanks for the heads up. Is there a link somewhere that tells me how to do the pressure test the cooling system? Any help is appreciated.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I don't have one but you can search the posts. Basically, you need to block off the hoses going to the exhaust manifolds(hook them up to each other with a piece of pipe and hose clamps) and then rig up something that will go in the hose going to the outdrive and add a schraeder valve and pressure gauge.