Bunk Slicks: Opinions

Evinbuck

Seaman
This year I redone my trailer from bottom up and changed it from a roller/bunk combo to just a bunk style. Reason being is my bass boat is one of the old style tri-hull and attempting to keep the boat straight while loading on center rollers was always a pain in da. So I converted it to a drive on bunk which works a lot better this year. I used 2x6 carpeted bunks (flat) and the thing I've noticed is seemingly a lot of drag or friction to pull the boat off the trailer without having to dunk the trailer so deep. I've done the dunk it and pull back out deal and while there's improvement it still takes a stiff pull to initially get it off the trailer. My wife can barely do it. I've seen these "Bunk Slicks" do-hickies and have wondered if they make a difference or not. They're like 35 bucks for the 2x6 style. I'd like to hear from anyone that has used these. Thanks in advance.

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Bunk Slicks: Opinions

Are you loading that tiny boat in your profile picture? If so then I'd consider looking at a different winch. No reason it should be difficult to pull an aluminum boat onto a trailer, even if the bunks were dry.

As for the bunk slicks - I don't care for the idea a whole lot. I like that there is some friction holding the boat on the trailer in addition to the winch and transome straps.

Evinbuck

Seaman

Maybe the picture is a little deceiving?? It's an 18' fiberglass bass boat. Not huge but with an 85hp the boat probably goes 1400lbs. I have heard the "some friction" theory. I'd like to hear first hand experiences. Obviously I don't want the thing to slide off the trailer like an anchor but is it extremely slick or do they make enough difference to justify their use? Thanks

oldjeep

Admiral

Still really light. I've got no problems pulling a 19ft bowrider that weighs 2500lbs onto a bunk trailer with the winch.

I'm guessing that most of your weight is in the rear, so you might just be dragging all the weight across the back corner of the bunk boards if you are putting the trailer in shallow. The mod I would make is to put some side guides on the trailer and then just back up further. No reason to be dragging the boat accross the bunks.

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

I refurbished my 24' tritoon trailer this past May. I put slicks on all my bunks and I am able to drive my boat on to the trailer much easier. This has made a big difference during this Texas drought we are having. Lake Conroe, where I usually go is a little over 4 feet low and thus I cannot put my trailer as deep into the water launching or loading. With the new slicks I can just driver her on and she slides right up on the trailer.
Here is the url of the ones I used: http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/T-D-86164/Boat+Trailer+Bunk+Slick+Kit,+10+piece.html

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Personally, my 24' boat is so easy to put on the trailer I would never even think of having slicks. I don't think I would want the risk of the boat sliding off the trailer easier while towing.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I'm a roller trailer type guy, but my big boat has a combo EZ loader roller setup with 2 large bunks for stability, plus my jetski trailer is all bunks. In my old age I've been getting lazy, so I put bunk slicks on all of the bunks.

OMG.....the best thing since sliced bread. I can't believe the improvement in launching and retreiving.

Having friction on the bunks is a bad thing. Launching should be a joy, not a chore. If you follow the age old procedures for trailering a boat (i.e., transom and bow tie downs - not a silly bow safety chain), its literally impossible for a boat to leave the trailer. Years ago I was rear-ended and caused a 3 lane fiasco. But the boat never left the trailer.

Evinbuck

Seaman

Well, I'm gonna go for it. Looks like a 50/50 opinion with cautionary notes to assure the boat stays put during unloading. My boat is not huge but heavy enough I think these would make a big improvement while loading also. I probably go a bit overboard with tie downs as not only do I do the transom but I also have a 2" strap over the entire rearend of the boat. I use a safety chain on the winch stand and will go to a huge turnbuckle to tighten it down. Surely this sucker won't slide off with all that in place. Thanks for the thoughts

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Obviously it depends on where you launch, what you launch, and how hard it is presently to get the boat on the trailer. If you aren't having a problem, then you should not put them on.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You could try some silicone spray on the bunks to give a little more slick...

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I was considering bunk slicks. After reading this thread, I tried spraying my bunks with silicone lubricant yesterday. Made a big difference putting my 21' deckboat on the trailer, so no bunk slicks for me.

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

Please try this first.

I've got a 16' SeaDoo Sportster. It's around 1500# (dry) to 1800# loaded. It took a lot of energy to crank it onto the bunks when I pull it from the water. In Michigan, power loading is illegal (although rarely enforced). It does a lot of ramp damage, though.

I invested about $3 for a spray can of silicone lubricant -- found it at the local Walmart or Meijer's. When the boat's in the water and the bunks are dry, I sprayed about 1/2 the can on the bunk carpeting. After it dried, it was very easy to crank onto the trailer. Best thing I ever did to get the boat on / off the trailer -- especially on very shallow launch points that are all sand (not concrete, blacktop, or metal).

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Put the slicks on the front two-thirds of the bunks and keep wood on the last one-third. This will give you friction to hold the boat while trailering down the road. When you launch, the back third of the boat will float off the trailer and the rest will slide down the bunk slicks into the water.

foodfisher

Captain

Put the slicks on the front two-thirds of the bunks and keep wood on the last one-third. This will give you friction to hold the boat while trailering down the road. When you launch, the back third of the boat will float off the trailer and the rest will slide down the bunk slicks into the water.
Like this idea.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Good compromise.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

slicks are great. When my hunt club went from a deep V on a roller trailer to a 19' flat bottom, which you can't put on rollers, we put carpeted bunks and a year later added teflon slicks--they are about 10" long so we spaced out about 5 on each bunk. This was a tilt trailer we did not dunk--launch and retrieve dry--and it was a breeze to push the 19' boat off. Pulling up was easy but I must disclose, we had a power winch. However when it was on the fritz, we cranked, and it was no problem.

You can also put dish soap on the carpet, even cheaper than silicone and probably better for the air and water.

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

You can also put dish soap on the carpet, even cheaper than silicone and probably better for the air and water.

I'd be afraid of water pollution. It pains me when I see soap / detergent bubbles washing up on shore. Most of that has faded once people became aware of the pollution soap or detergent causes.

oldjeep

Admiral

I'd be afraid of water pollution. It pains me when I see soap / detergent bubbles washing up on shore. Most of that has faded once people became aware of the pollution soap or detergent causes.

Easy solution, use binding lube instead. Same soapy slip, but its biodegradable and meant for putting in the lake.

yfzjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I made my own slicks with UHMW plastic. Best mod I have done in a long time. Makes loading SO much easier. If you have your boat strapped down correctly it wont slide off while going down the road.

dragginanchor

Seaman Apprentice

+1 for the silicone spray on the bunk carpet. What a difference! Much easier to winch up, but now, on steep ramps, I have to keep the winch strap and safety chain attached until I got the boat halfway in the water or it could slide off the trailer and land on the ramp :-0

edit--
A can of that stuff will last a whole season or more. It's getting a little harder to pull it up the bunks, but not bad. I put 2 coats on at first early in the season and used about half or 3/4 a can. And it's only about $3 a can.