Volvo Penta 270 Drive Engagement/Throttle cables question

cpcharb

Cadet
Okay, so some/most may consider this a ridiculous question, but I am new to boating, and this forum, and have a problem with my drive engaging.... IT WONT. It throttles up in neutral... 1982 Bayliner Capri.... When I try throttling it while not pulling out for neutral, it bogs, and then if I push the throttle far enough to hit the actual throttle cable, it revs... probably too much, but regardless... it doesn't even make a noise to engage. I looked at the throttle lever assembly, and it appears that there should be another cable that is not there. I'm not sure, so that's why I'm asking, but are there supposed to be 2 or 3 cables for the throttle lever? My guess is that there needs to be one to engage the outdrive separate from the 2 throttle cables, one for fwd, one for reverse??? Either way, fwd, or reverse, the drive does not engage.

Can someone enlighten me... then if my suspicions are right, where the heck does the drive cable attach to? Is there any diagrams that someone can help me out with?

I have attached a pic of the outdrive and engine to see if anyone can help.

Thanks,

Chris
IMG_0339[1].jpgIMG_0338[1].jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta 270 Drive Engagement/Throttle cables question

There are 2 cables, one for the throttle, one for shifting.
It may be that your control is stuck in the throttle only position.
I would suggest you go to the link below, and download a free owners manual for your engine model. It will explain how to use the shifter if it's the OEM shifter. You could even post a picture of it.

http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopent...lication_search/pages/publication_search.aspx

cpcharb

Cadet

Thank you Don. Sorry for what probably seemed like a dumb question. I just took a look and I can see which is the throttle and which is the shift cable. It is moving, but it doesn't engage, no grinding or even a sound like it is trying to engage, out of adjustment maybe?? I don't know, but from the looks of it, it doesn't look easy to adjust. It moves freely when the engine is on, but again it doesn't sound like it is moving anything, just the cable is moving. Is it supposed to attach to the outdrive on the outside of it, or is that the cable I see going in top of the outdrive. I wish I knew more... but I appreciate the quick response.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Thank you Don. Sorry for what probably seemed like a dumb question. I just took a look and I can see which is the throttle and which is the shift cable. It is moving, but it doesn't engage, no grinding or even a sound like it is trying to engage, out of adjustment maybe?? I don't know, but from the looks of it, it doesn't look easy to adjust. It moves freely when the engine is on, but again it doesn't sound like it is moving anything, just the cable is moving. Is it supposed to attach to the outdrive on the outside of it, or is that the cable I see going in top of the outdrive. I wish I knew more... but I appreciate the quick response.

Pull the cover off the outdrive that has the plate that says 270 on it. Take the bottom screw all the way out. Back the top screw off enough that you can kick the bottom of the cover off (the top screw has a catch that looks like half a wing-nut, and latches the cover to the top of the gear case). Take a look inside and you will see where the shifter cable is attached to the pivot on the bottom. There is a rod between the that pivot to a part that looks like a wing with two holes on either side. Make sure the cotter pins are all in place. If they aren't then replace them with stainless cotters and a washer to isolate the cotter pin. If the cotter pins are all there, have some one move the shifter in and out of gear (boat not running). If you see the parts moving, you most likely have a problem inside the drive.

cpcharb

Cadet

I'll give that a whirl. ... (boat not running) ... ... ... that comment frightens me!!!

I'm hoping/praying/wishing that it is just needs simple stuff, because I hear it gets slightly costly if there is something wrong with the drive :(

Oh well, thanks for the info, and I'll let you know.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I'll give that a whirl. ... (boat not running) ... ... ... that comment frightens me!!!

You'd be surprised. Some people are, let's just say... overly ambitious? :)

Just out of curiosity, is this happening while the boat is placed on the water, or are you doing this on land?
If it's happening on land, has someone actually verified that the prop isn't spinning? You are not going to hear a buzz/click/bang when a Volvo drive goes into gear like a Mercruiser or an outboard. A Volvo's shift is a seamless quiet event thanks to Volvo's use of cone clutches rather than dog clutches.

Also, if you are running this on land, the outdrive should be down as far as it can go (with out the prop hitting the ground), or else you will stress the U-joints. And water needs to be supplied to the engine VIA muff's so the impeller doesn't get trashed.

cpcharb

Cadet

Okay, that was alot easier to do than expected. I have discovered that it seems nothing happens when I move the shifter. I have attached the original picture because that is what it looked like from beginning to end...

shifter assembly.jpg

Now what? Replace the cable? Frozen? Not sure as the shifter moves freezly. Snapped cable maybe? Oh well, just not sure where I should start. Thanks for all the help.

Chris

Oh and sorry for the sideways pic... i took it straight, but for some reason my computer thinks it should be sideways, and I didn't change the view.

cpcharb

Cadet

On land, with muffs, bunny ears, suction cups... whatever they are called. I would put it in "gear" and then check... It is down as low as I can get it without digging up the ground... Although I shouldn't be worried about the prop... previous owner I think liked rocks.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Okay, that was alot easier to do than expected. I have discovered that it seems nothing happens when I move the shifter. I have attached the original picture because that is what it looked like from beginning to end...

Now what? Replace the cable? Frozen? Not sure as the shifter moves freezly. Snapped cable maybe? Oh well, just not sure where I should start.

If you see no action happening in that area of the drive when the shifter is moved, and you have actually verified that the shifter is moving the cable, I would say that the cable is probably broken. You need to get the part number off the sheath of the cable and find a replacement.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Disconnect the cable at the drive and see if you can pull the inner cable out.

cpcharb

Cadet

Yes, shifter is moving the cable but not at the drive. Fun Fun Fun. What exactly am I getting myself into for replacing the shift cable? Alot of headaches? Oh well, I suppose that's boating for me who is doing this on a budget. Can I disconnect the shifter rod and attach a string to the drive and do it that way?? Kidding :) I knew I should have just stuck with a row boat. Oh well, I suppose it's all a learning experience that I can pass onto someone else at some point.

cpcharb

Cadet

Don, I assume you are talking about the rod that the lever is attached to. I did that and I can move it in and out. When I have the shifter in reverse it was not pulling out all the way, but in fwd, I could move it both directions either way?? Stretched cable?? major adjustment?? new cable? Would love it to be an adjustment... but i'm thinking probably not... will my string idea work? j/k.

cpcharb

Cadet

So assuming that the cable is in need of replacing, which I believe to be right. The only reason I have even a slight bit of question is that when i pull the rod out as far as it will go which is probably about 6 inches of movement, then I shift into reverse, the cable does pull back in a bit.

I am not able to see any writing on the cable to get a p/n, so how would I know which cable to get? How hard is it to replace this cable too?

Chris

cpcharb

Cadet

Thanks for the help, with some searching I found out how to get the cable out, now the fun part, getting it back in when I get the new one. On another note, how can I tell if I have the short hub or long hub version for a prop?

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Shot or long hub?
Many threads with images and dimensions regarding that. One here: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=464888

As for installing new cable, it always helps to pull a wire/string in when you pull the old one out, so you can use that one (string) when pulling the new one in.