Trouble with loading; hull doesn't always stay in contact with front roller?

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Tried to search for this problem, but didn't find any exact phrases, so here goes:

Here's my setup: 17ft Regal LSR 1700 with Fastrac (multiple "steps") hull.

Eagle trailer with bunks custom set by manufacturer specifically for this boat and hull.

I launch deep so the boat floats off...no problem.

When I retrieve, however, I keep the trailer shallower (fenders 1-2" above water), and winch the boat
about 2 feet, all the way up until the hull touches the front roller. The hull eye is only about 2" away from the main
roller, even at the best of times. I winch it up until I basically can't turn it anymore. There's a lot of stress on the
strap.

But when I pull up off the ramp, about every 3rd time, I find that the boat has "settled", and now there is no contact
between the hull and the front roller, so the bow can slam against the roller unless I go back in the water and try
to reload the boat again.

Conditions are always the same; everyone is out of the boat...

With this hull, the bunk setup is very "sensitive" to the hull steps; I have to be perfectly centered on the trailer, I'd
say within less than an inch of absolute center, or it won't sit properly.

Just not sure how to make sure that it's always as far forward as it needs to be.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!

superbenk

Commander
Re: Trouble with loading; hull doesn't always stay in contact with front roller?

I'd try backing the trailer in slightly deeper. Shouldn't be so hard to get it up to the bow stop & it shouldn't settle away from the stop at all.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Trouble with loading; hull doesn't always stay in contact with front roller?

you are still too deep..... the stern is floating and the bow is low until you pull out and as the rear settles the bow floats up away from the bowstop....you need keep rollers OR bunk slicks and you need to have the trailer shallower.

superbenk

Commander

you are still too deep..... the stern is floating and the bow is low until you pull out and as the rear settles the bow floats up away from the bowstop....you need keep rollers OR bunk slicks and you need to have the trailer shallower.

Really? He's winching up 2' already & from the sounds of it, it's not easy winching. Going shallower means even more winching over dry bunks.

Also, when he's coming off the ramp, the boat is sitting back from the bow post which says to me it's not winching up far enough yet. I could be wrong (& I'm fine if I am), but I don't understand how he's too deep.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Really? He's winching up 2' already & from the sounds of it, it's not easy winching. Going shallower means even more winching over dry bunks.

Also, when he's coming off the ramp, the boat is sitting back from the bow post which says to me it's not winching up far enough yet. I could be wrong (& I'm fine if I am), but I don't understand how he's too deep.

I tend to agree with you on this one. It sounds like it is not in deep enough. There shouldnt be that much stress on the strap and you should be able to pull it all the way up with only little resistance. BUT without being there, it is hard to tell. I would try it in differant depths.

On a side note, and this may help too. I actually had to adjust my winch pedestal a couple times to get it in the right place. Just because they adjusted it at the factory(which I doubt because usually the dealer does that)doesnt mean it is in the right place. If you cant get it right maybe try taking the whole rig to a trailer builder and let them help you adjust it.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

you are still too deep..... the stern is floating and the bow is low until you pull out and as the rear settles the bow floats up away from the bowstop
I would have to agree. Its the geometry of two objects setting on different planes.The boat is level and the trailer is angled undeneath it. A shallower trailer means less of an angle. The smaller the angle, the less slack you'll have to take out once both objects are on the same plane. The longer the boat, the more slack you'll end up with

My boat does the same thing. Pull boat tight to bow stop. Pull boat out and move to level ground. Tighten winch up again.

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

I was retrieving deeper, but that sometimes screwed up my lateral position on the trailer, so I started going shallower to ensure that I had to winch up, forcing the boat to be centered.

As far as the front post, it is as far back as it can go, and up against a crossmember. The hull only hangs 2" off the end of the bunks with this setup. If I moved the front post, then my bunks would not nestle into the recesses on the stepped hull.

I will try half-splitting the depth this weekend, and maybe putting a tiny sharpie "dot" on both sides of the hull where they contact the roller, and ensure that I come up to the same place every time.

And Dingbat--just say your post. I tried to winch up some more when off the ramp. That's not happening. Strap looks like the stitching would let go before it pulls that boat up any further.

Thanks Again!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

And Dingbat--just say your post. I tried to winch up some more when off the ramp. That's not happening. Strap looks like the stitching would let go before it pulls that boat up any further.

Thanks Again!
I have no problem winching my #5200 to the stop. How much does your boat weigh? What size winch do you have?

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boat weighs an estimated 2800lbs. Not sure of rated winch capacity (and at work so can't check now); when I bought it two months ago, owner said he had recently replaced it, but due to one bolt's surface rust, and condition of strap, I am dubious. That's on my potential replacement list. I wasn't going to gripe too much about a $50 winch when I got the whole package for a great price.

But regardless of capacity, when the boat's on there, it's on there. There is no pulling another inch with that winch.

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class

are you getting the bunks completely wet then pulling back up to your shallower position? wetting the carpet should help the slide factor

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd say 90% of the carpet is wet, but I can wet it all, then pull forward. It's a long, shallow ramp. When I get out of the SUV, I'm already standing in 3" of water. Previous owner's advice to launch very deep was correct. Fenders have to be completely submerged, or I'm pushing the boat off by hand, and not easily at that.

Even blew a fuse once when I backed in all the way to the vehicle hitch/connector.

And no, I don't power off, or power on, to my trailer. It's all with dead boat and trim fully up.

Thanks,
Marc

sandersps

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do you winch until the hull touches the roller or until the bow eye touches the roller. winch until the eye touches and you shouldnt have any problems. I would go just deep enough that you can easily winch the eye to the roller. If you winch til the hull touches then pull out the boat will be setting back about the same distance that the eye was away from the roller. Try it, youll like it!

88wellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

I kinda have the same issue....my problem is my safety at the bow is a ratchet strap that actually connect a little behind the bow eye....when i tighten it up and drive a little it pulls the boat back a hair bringing the bow about an inch off the roller. what i'm going to do is delete the ratchet strap and get a safety chain that connect forward of the bow eye.

not sure if you do it the same way but that might be a solution for ya?

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

88-
I think I know what you're referring to, however, my "eyelet" on my trailer for a safety chain to the boat is directly beneath my hull eye, so it will not pull or keep the boat forward, it will simply pull straight down.

But once I get this straightened out and repeatable, that's exactly what it's supposed to do anyway...

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

So here's what I'll do:
In order to really fix all this, I will retrieve deeper and winch further.

But to keep the stern from drifting off center, I'll have to add two angled guide blocks to gently
square everything up when I'm pulling out.

I tried this before, but without guide blocks on the trailer, it was hell judging where the fenders
would emerge from the water in relation to the hull...and asking the kids to watch it was like asking
them to do homework....:rolleyes:

Thanks again everyone!

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

One other question: When I get replacing the winch, or even just the strap itself, what capacity? Boat weighs maybe 2800 loaded, but are the winches rated to that full capacity?

Thanks!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

read my post again... add slicks or keel rollers to the trailer... it is a fairly light boat and will winch on like you wouldn't believe (EASY).... then you can launch/load much shallower and fix the problem TRUST ME it WILL work..... good luck either way

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Smoke--
I'll look those up and check out some prices.

I also took a more careful look at the trailer last night after I got the boat launched.

I see the longest two of my bunks are not truly flat. They have taken a "set" to the shape of the hull, so in essence there is a little bit of a dip to them in their center. Since I'm assuming they're just coated wood covered in carpet, I'm assuming they should not be that way. But that does explain why it's not easy to winch when it's on there.

I did retrieve deeper last night. Came up better to the front roller, but still had to have my son guiding the stern because it was drifting off center. Got it trailered the whole three miles home (fishing trip til 3am), looked at it today in better light, and I see the hull is just barely touching the roller. And the strap is ultra-tight.

So this could just be as simple as needing an extra support in the middle of the two long bunks. They all need new bolts anyway, and some touchup paint, so that would be easy.

Thanks Again!