New guy with some questions

pkeppers

Cadet
Hi,

I just signed up on this forum. I?ve never owned a boat and never really have been all that interested in them but I live in a area that has great boating and recently I?ve been thinking I might like a practical boat so after researching a little I came up with a 18? older Starcraft as being what I am looking for. I live in Duluth MN and want something big enough to go out on Lake Superior on a nice day (not too far from shore).

I know next to nothing about boats but I am knowledgeable on cars, motorcycles, etc general motorized recreational equipment.

My first question I was hoping someone could give some advice on is whether a I/O or a outboard is generally preferable. I always had the impression that a I/O was a better set up, lasted longer, easier/cheaper to repair, etc than a outboard. I?m assuming that being a 4 cycle vs. two cycle that a I/O burns considerably less gas.

Any tips on pros/cons of either?

Also, another question. In general is there a difference in depth of the various 18? Starcraft aluminum hulls from the 70?s?

A local boat I am going to take a look at is advertised as a 1976 120 HP I/O. Can anybody tell me what motor and drive it will be?

TheWrks

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New guy with some questions

Welcome to Iboats, experience come with getting out on the water small lakes first then work your way up to bigger bodies of water. You might won't to take a boaters Ed Local sheriffs office or coast guard and ask questions on here. 18tf would be ok on the Lake Superior but as you know the weather can change very quick out there.

I/O vs' Out's that has been talked about until everyone is blue in the face, It come down to what you want and what you would be comfortable with.

18ft Starcrafts from the 60's are pretty much the same, the Holiday being closed bow and the SS (Holiday with a pass through and bow seating.
Then there is a off shore center console (Fishing)
Two hull types reg v and then Deep V (extra splines on the Hull) have a look and some of the guys signatures they all have links to their "Reso's"

120HP is a 2.5L/153ci good strong engine great on gas- the out drive could be a Mercruiser (good) or the black sheep of out drives "OMC" this one would be white

If I got anything wrong the Starmada crew will be here soon :rolleyes:

FYI this is my first boat as of Sep last year which I have splashed the tinny 10 time this season....

Scott

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: New guy with some questions

Both can be reliable. I/O's do use considerably less gas. Older I/O's can cost some considerable coin to get caught up on maintenance.

Personally I'm an outboard guy. I've had a '73 85HP and a '81 HP. Bother were/are great runners and very reliable.