AQ125B Stalling Issues/Dead Spot

xsnoboard

Cadet
Basically the boat doesnt like to idle, even after it is warmed up it has a hard time starting. I need to give it some gas.

When it is not yet warmed up it has a dead spot at about 1/4 throttle (the boat will stall) Once warmed up it still has the dead spot but if I give it more throttle it eventually kits in.

It also smells like its running very rich

What could be the issue?

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: AQ125B Stalling Issues/Dead Spot

Check your spark plugs. Check for abnormal wear as well as double check they are the correct plug. Some marina had installed the wrong plugs into my AQ125a and when I bought it, it would have a hell of a time starting. I changed the plugs to the correct plugs and have zero problems with starting now. Bosch W6DC if I remember correctly.

Once you get it running and warmed up to 180, you need to adjust the carb. Idle air mixture screw is supposed to be set at one revolution out (to start). Then get the rpms set between 750-1000. Readjust the IA mixture screw a little (1.5 turns works best for mine) and then adjust the screw on the acclerator pump to get rid of that 'dead spot'. It is basically just not engaging fast enough when you hit the throttle.

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: AQ125B Stalling Issues/Dead Spot

I believe my first step would be checking tune.
1. Set dwell
2. set timing to specs
3. Check total advance
4. Adjust carb to spec

Adjusting the carb on a engine that is out of tune can be like beating your head against the wall.