Thinking about building a boat.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Now that I have the Bayliner all set up with hardtop, rebuilt motor, etc, I have a good reliable boat to enjoy. That means there is time to start planning the next build.

What I have in mind is a larger boat, no more than 21 foot with a full center located cabin, and door in front of cabin to access a bow rider style bow about 6 foot long, aft is a open area about 6 foot long, and a 9 foot center cabin.

Plan is to get a salvage boat, gut the hull, and build what I want on it. In the style of the foam/fiberglass hard top built for the Bayliner, this cabin would be built from high density 1" thick foam panels, with smooth 0.10" FRP epoxied to each side. The FRP panels are very reasonably priced, at about $45 for a 4x8 foot panel, white and polished finish on each side. The idea is to make it light for maximum efficiency and fuel economy. All critical aspects would be made from rot-proof materials, like plastics or PT wood. The decking (sole) also needs to be water proof because this boat will be moored and left out in the elements for weeks at a time.

Style would be in the classic 50's wood built cruisers, but there will be little wood in this build.

Not sure if it should be an I/O or outboard. I think an outboard is less trouble, but probably louder.

I really want to avoid covering ply panels with fiberglass and resin, sanding and fairing, and painting or gel coating. That is time consuming and miserable work. The foam/FRP panels would make the project go so much faster, and the glossy finish needs no finishing. And there are all kinds of aluminum and FRP channels available to join the panels with a finished look. To help reduce costs, the water tight and tempered windows and glass doors will come right from a motorhome/camper window supplier (cheaper than custom made).

Also, would be nice if it had a max speed of 35 mph with a 150-200 hp outboard.

Well, that's what I have in mind. May have to reduce the overall length to about 19' to tow it with what we have, but 19 would still be plenty big.

Probably take my time and do this over a 3 year period.

Any suggestions or comments?