Which seals to wacth out for when welding skeg

kabona

Seaman Apprentice
i am welding a replacement skeg on my l-drive.

Is there any other seals i should remove in the lower gear case that might get affected from the heat of a Mig, besides the 2 seals on the bearing spool. I am only going to be welding a few inches at a time then letting the gearcase cool down.

i do not seem to see any other rubber touching the bottom of the gearcase in the service manual, except for the seals on the bearing spool.

thought i would post here just to make sure.

.......and for archive purposes.

IMG-20110818-00248.jpg <---- bearing spool on my custom puller

IMG-20110818-00258.jpg

IMG-20110818-00257.jpg

IMG-20110818-00250.jpg

IMG-20110818-00252.jpg

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Which seals to wacth out for when welding skeg

There is the propeller shaft seal in addition to the two large "O" ring seals on the spool. All of the seals that may be affected are on the spool. You can also lay some wet towels on the bullet portion of the case before you start welding to help control the heat if necessary. I use a TIG welder to do these repairs and I discovered that if you use a 50/50 mix of Argon and Helium it makes all the difference in the world as compared to using 100% Argon.

fucawi

Banned
Re: Which seals to wacth out for when welding skeg

I have welded dozens of these for the local boat yard using MIG TIG is toooo slow ...Never taken any seals out ..clamp a thick stainless plate on the rear to keep it square and stop blow through ..then turn it over ....if using TIG strip it out