1959 Evinrude 18 HP fouling plugs

dandrews1979

Recruit
I took my boat out last weekend, and it ran great for awhile. all of a sudden, i cranked it up and it started just fine. When I opened up the throttle it seemed to just spin. It would go fine at Low throttle. When i got back to the boat ramp, i checked the shear pin and the hub on the prop, all seemed fine. When i got home i pulled the plugs and they were awful black. I did a compression test today and held at around 100 psi. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

lindy46

Captain
Re: 1959 Evinrude 18 HP fouling plugs

You probably have a spun prop hub. You may not be able to spin it by hand, but once the rubber hub lets loose, it will spin when you torque up the engine. Test it by removing the prop and drawing a line across the back of the prop/hub with waterproof marker. Put it back on, run the motor to duplicate the problem and see if the line moves. Fouling plugs is usually caused by running too cool a plug at extended idle speeds. If you troll a lot, use Champion J6C gapped to .035".

dandrews1979

Recruit

Ill try marking the hub. and ill check my gap. but i use my trolling motor to troll with. I use this motor just to get down the lake

dandrews1979

Recruit

ok i tried gapping the plugs and it wouldn't start, so i returned them to .030 and guess i flooded it out.