Munched Prop!!

stephank

Cadet
Guys, I forgot to raise my outdrive before pulling the trailer out of the water and bent one blade on my prop. I tried to bend it back with some channel locks and the bend just broke off. It was about 3/4 of an inch worth of one blade. Do I need to change my prop, or will it be okay.

Thanks and no comments about me not raising the prop :facepalm:

Stephan

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: Munched Prop!!

Guys, I forgot to raise my outdrive before pulling the trailer out of the water and bent one blade on my prop. I tried to bend it back with some channel locks and the bend just broke off. It was about 3/4 of an inch worth of one blade. Do I need to change my prop, or will it be okay.

Thanks and no comments about me not raising the prop :facepalm:

Stephan

Yes, you need a new prop. As long as your old one usta get your engine to the correct WOT range, replace it with a matching pitch/diameter prop.
These folks here sell all sorts of props at competitive prices no less; http://www.iboats.com/ :)

BTW, I'm guessing the original one was aluminum, right? Cast aluminum usually only bends once. The next time it bends (without magic applied) it breaks. ;)

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

"If" it was only 3/4 of an inch that went missing, you could "possibly" also take it to a reputable shop to have it repaired.
But given the relatively low price on new Solas here (follow link provided by Rogers), might not even be worth repairing it, especially if you have to drive far to drop off and pick up.

I "jacked" one of my blades on my alu prop badly a few years ago. Prop was repaired (~$90, very reputable shop) and the only real difference is that the paint does not hold up as well as the original paint (shop alerted me to that, but less of an issues since boat sits out of the water).
Of course last year when I was nice to one of my neighbors to minimize her jump to the dock, I jacked it once again (smaller this time). Will repair and have as a spare prop (bought a 4-blade) when I get a chance to drive up to the shop.

And, this prop was replacing a Michigan Wheel that started showing microscopic cracks along the hub. Upon accelerating one day with a full crew, that blade just sheared off at the hub. total loss. So, have shop really inspect before repairing...

Edit: Added photo of prop that was repaired to "as new" by http://www.propshopltd.com/ in Mukilteo, WA.

Attachments

• Prop.JPG
    Prop.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

rowlex

Petty Officer 2nd Class

think they can fix mine??

(kidding!!!)
prop.jpg