How to strengthen gunwales in fiberglass boat.

pcrg28328

Seaman
I have a 1969 Island Maid 14' that some one has put 1x2 runners along the gunwales on the inside and out side then bolted them on. While this lends to "some" strengthening, it does a very limited job. The boat has zero braces from the top of the middle seat to the gunwales, approx 6" or so. I was hoping to run stainless screws from the inside out to hold the wood together and remove the bolts that protrude a bout 1/2" on each side as I want to pull a net over the side and not get caught. I then was going to kitty hair the entire rail and sand back down. I also would like to add structure from the middle seat up the side wall to the gunnel but do not know if this will help. Any thought or ideas? This is all new to me.
island maid.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to strengthen gunwales in fiberglass boat.

hi....welcome to iboats !

im kind of lost on your plans.....

i think we need more detailed pics

but a sure fire way to re inforce the gunwhales so you can pull a net over them.....is to glass with 1708....just one layer.
if you are really worried.....glass in a piece of plywood from the deck to the gunwhale under the cap.

pcrg28328

Seaman

Hi oops!,
Thanks for the greetings. My boat is a 1 ply with no sub floors. Wall is approx 1/4 thick and it has no caps only looks like they bent the glass over horizontally to add stability. I attached a drawing of how it is. With the 1708 would you put it on the inside or out?View attachment 108789

pcrg28328

Seaman

here is another pic of the 1x2's used. the top is still weak and so are the sides.
View attachment 108841
Also while I am sanding the old paint off, the boat is covered in spider web cracks. Can I just prime over them and paint? They go down to the gel coat, but feel smooth to the touch.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

links didnt work.

the spider web crracks are called crazing.....if you prime and paint.....the will show thru in a short while......but unless you want to do a total restoration.....you might want to live with them.

i need to see the pics before i can really make an accurate call....but i think the wooden gunwhale supports on the inside are the way to go