Bronx68

Seaman Apprentice
I have the following
90 HP Johnson 2 stroke engine
17 1/2 foot center console (fiberglass)
Prop is 13.25 x 17 with 3 blades
Lowest trolling speed (at idle) is 4 mph

I would like to troll below 2 mph
What prop is recommended without causing damage to engine at higher RPMs?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Want to slow trolling speed down with different prop

Forget changing the prop. Add some drag.....a sea anchor will do that....basically a short wind "sock" like you see at small airports with a rope on it. On the sea anchor, what it is made for is when you are in seas and the wind is blowing you about, keeping your bow into the wind is of utmost importance. Tied to the bow, the sock drags through the water and the resistance keeps the bow into the wind and waves.....surely has saved many a life over the years.

I have also seen an after market contraption that bolts onto the midsection and when you want to troll, you flip it down and it is right behind the prop deflecting the prop wash to the side and hence reduces forward propulsion. When you are through trolling, it flips up and out of the way and you can go about your business as usual.

Mark

Droopy

Seaman Apprentice

I've successfully used 2 Home Depot Orange Buckets (one off each side of the boat) to slow my 21' Bayliner with 5.0L OMC from 4.2mph to about 2.3mph. Of note, run your line through holes drilled in the lip of the bucket. The handles aren't rated for the drag... :)

John

SparkieBoat

Captain

take the advice given...you do NOT prop for trolling speed..you only prop for WOT RPM.