old johnson 50

krullbeast

Cadet
anyone know if you can still get parts for a 1959 OMC 50? outboard haven just mentioned that it would be hard and i want to see what i'm getting into. thanks

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: old johnson 50

That may be tricky. I looked at Crowley Marine where I ususlly do my parts shopping. They don't list any Johnson motors in their system earlier than '68. You might be stuck searching individual parts at marine salvage yards and such. There are probably parts out there, but I imagine they'll be difficult to track down.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

What you'll need most of is fuel and plenty of that is available.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Go to marineengine.com, they have parts listings back to 1955.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Krull, Standard tune-up type replacement parts (points, condenser, coils, sparkplugs ete) are likely available in lots of places. Other parts probably need to be sourced used. what do you need?

kfa4303

Banned

I agree. Lots of routine maintenance parts (points, condensers, carb kit, waterpumps, s'plugs and wires, etc....) are all available right here at iboats. Other, bigger parts may be a little trickier. Thee good news is that a lot of the these parts were interchangeable over the years, so you may be able to scavenge parts from motors of similar, if not the exact same, vintage. A non-running parts motor is a huge help. I just got one with my old 20 hp and it has already paid for itself with the few parts I've taken off of it. Good luck.

krullbeast

Cadet

thank you for the responses. i just need condensers, points and water pump. the basic tune up stuff. i know it's bad on gas but i'm also getting a parts motor in the deal. so, we'll see. again thank you for the responses

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Krull, Just so you know, that motor has two sets of points, one condenser and one coil. The two-barrel carb has a crossover manifold (If I remember correctly) so the right barrel feeds the left cylinders. There is no gasket between the midsection and the gearcase. use some permetex sealer on the mating surfaces.

BTW that motor will push a barge to 27MPH. It will also push a light planing hull to 27 MPH. It will push a 18' runabout to 27MPH. See the pattern?

As an advertisement for the motor when it was introduced, OMC mounted two of them on an 18 footer and drove it across the ocean. They had a fuel barge follow them.