Please help - Why does my Mariner 50 HP four stroke misfire at low revs?

bloodyfinechap

Recruit
If I start the engine from cold and don't push it too hard it runs perfectly. It can sometimes run perfectly well all day but than all of a sudden it will start to misfire for no apparent reason, if there is a pattern to this problem, it seems to be when I am pushing the engine quite hard. When you
drop down to lower revs it misfires and will continue to do this for the rest of the day. If I open the throttle up and bring the boat up to planning
speed the misfire goes away and the engine runs perfectly well. Once I drop the revs back down to slow speed the misfire returns. If I turn the
engine off, it will re-start again but only on what seems like 3 cylinders. It is particularly difficult to get it into gear and keep it running as the engine will want to stall, so the only way you can keep it running is to ram the throttle through quickly and bring the revs up as quick as you can, this as you can imagine is a bit dangerous if you are in a confined area. I have had this problem for over 2 years now and no one seems to be able to find out what the problem is. The odd thing is that when the engine is missing and then I finish using the boat that day, I can go back to it the next day and it will run perfectly again. I don't understand how one minute the engine runs fine and then I push it a bit harder and it starts to miss. Here is an example of what happens. Yesterday my 3 ton fishing boat wouldn't start because of a flat battery. I had to tow my fishing boat with the rib for about 2 miles and because I was making the Mariner work hard, when I reached my destination with the fishing boat, the mariner was missing on tick over. As soon as I bought the rib up to planing speed the engine ran well, I had to travel in the rib for about 5 miles to the other side of the island and as soon as I dropped the revs down the misfire was present. I moored the boat up last night and my wife used it this morning. Low and behold the engine ran perfect for the whole time she used it however she had no reason to push the boat hard. Is there anyone out there who could help me get to the bottom of this? thanks bloodyfinechap