1975 Lower Unit Removal Problem

MartinW

Recruit
Hello,

I'm new to boat/motor ownership. I have acquired a 1975 Evinrude 15 HP that seems to be in decent shape. It has been stored in a garage for more then 10 years. I was amazed that I was able to get it to run and ran it briefly in a barrel of water. However, I decided that I'd better do some basic maintenance before taking it out on the water. I read that water pump is likely candidate for trouble so I decided to service it. Considering it's age I suspected the impeller was likely perished or cracked. I ordered replacement pump. Now I have undone all six bolts on lower unit and it has dropped down about an inch or so but it refuses to move any further. I don't have the service manual to refer to so I'm wondering what I'm missing that is preventing removal of the lower unit. Does anyone know if I have to disconnect the shift linkage somewhere and if so how? Or is there something else I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

Re: 1975 Lower Unit Removal Problem

I'm pretty sure you do need to disconnect the linkage first. It is usually under the block in the middle it is a long rod that runs all the way down the shaft. Not sure on that model.