1987 johnson 6hp, lower unit froze up and missing prop shaft and prop.

jimmyriggs

Cadet
"Hello....the rest of this motor is running just need lower unit any prices or info will help( at this time i have the lower unit floating in oil to try to break loose the rusted gears in the unit.....
I have a 1987 Johnson 6hp with tiller with short shaft..... i will need the "prop drive shaft" and prop, any idea how to find this part (shaft) used? or witch one i need?(part number) and how much a whole new or used lower unit for this motor will cost me? thank you for helping the new guy..
so i just bought 2 of these motors 1987 6hp johnson's one is running and is 80% (missing only the prop end drive shaft, and prop) the other motor is just for parts(missing the parts i need!).. i am in need of the shaft any idea how to get parts? or anyone interested in trading these parts for my spare parts motor? or you can name what you might need in return.. thanks for helping..:confused:

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: 1987 johnson 6hp, lower unit froze up and missing prop shaft and prop.

Part # for shaft should be; 0324628
Price is 279.00 for a new one from BRP.
All that info found here; http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=9ng85v7t2dbp5sfc1f1rqthqv6&catalog_id=0&siteid=1

You say the gears are rusted and bound up in the LU. If thats the case, I wouldn't even mess with this. There are complete reasonably priced lower units for sale on ebay right now that should have everything you need short of a prop and new water pump kit. ;)

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Re: 1987 johnson 6hp, lower unit froze up and missing prop shaft and prop.

Check the "top secret file" at the top for a list of salvage yards that might have the parts.
If there is enough rust that the L/U is seized, be very careful what you reuse if you get it "freed up".