Nissan 6hp 4str-vibration

JOSEPHC

Cadet
I have a 2002 6hp-4str outbd on a 23 ft sailboat. been satisfied with the engine except for the following:
Finicky low-speed carborator fouling....so far have used a fuel stabilizer and also Techron(at about twice the suggested conc) in the gas tank and along with running the engine dry after every use seems to address this problem.
Engine vibration...especially at low rpm...this engine does vibrate alot, it seems a common problem for 1 cyl 4 str engines.
I was thinking of using some kind of vibration-dampning pad/material at the attachment of engine to boat to try and cut down this annoying and possibly damaging vibration.
Does anyone know of any vibration pads/material that might be suitable for this?
Thanks for you help.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Nissan 6hp 4str-vibration

You are probably just on the edge of restriction in the low-speed carb circuits. If the Techron helps, cool. If not, a disassembly and 4-hour soak in carb dip should restore your idle performance.

We haven't had much success with damping pads, as you need so much clamp pressure (to keep the motor on the boat) that the pad compresses and is useless. You could possibly switch to the HT propeller, which is a low-pitch, mouse-ear, 3-blade prop. Tohatsu part number 399B645121 PROP 4/5/6HP, 8.375" DIA X 6" PITCH (ELEPHANT EAR) for $74.87. That would probably increase your RPM slightly... which might get you above the RPM where all 1-cyl 4-strokes vibrate.

If your motor is mounted on an older articulating bracket that was originally intended for a 2-stroke motor, I would recommend switching to one that is designed for the 4-strokes. Much stronger (and more expensive), but won't wobble around as much when the 1-lung 4-stroke motor is idled down.

JOSEPHC

Cadet
Re: Nissan 6hp 4str-vibration

Thanks Paul for the reply. I am not concerned about the engine falling off as it sits in a well and contained on all 4 sides so I would not have to clamp down on the anti-vibration pad to the degree you indicated.
In fact, it could be just enough clamping force to keep any such pad in place.
I know there are many anti-vibration pads out there for various other applications, just can't seem to find a suitable one.