97 Mariner Outboard 90HP - Electrical Question?

jimmyphan

Cadet
Hi All,

Yesterday after opening the engine cover, I noticed that the nut and washer that used to tight all the HOT wires on the solenoid have been eat up to about 1/4 of the way. Do anyone know what causes this and how to correct this?

Thanks in advance.
Jimmy

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 97 Mariner Outboard 90HP - Electrical Question?

I would think corrosion or heat would be the culprits. What is the nut made of? A Stainless steel replacement may be the answer.

jimmyphan

Cadet

I have connected all the cables to the battery. I un-screw the 2 Hot wires connected to the solenoid. But when I touch the biggest Hot wire with the other one (assuming that the trim motor wire), it creates a spark. Do know what causes this and how to correct it? Is this normal? Thank you for your help.

Thanks,
JP

carholme

Rear Admiral

JP;

Don't really understand your two hot wires if you mean that they are on the same post and you don't offer your engine s/n but this should be the manual for your engine:

http://1manual.com/Mercury manuals/Service Manual PDFs/TwoStroke/830234r3/cover.pdf

You must have Adobe Acrobat reader installed to use this manual. If you scroll down to the lower part of the opening page, you will see the various engine components in red. Click on the one you want and when the first page opens, click on the "Save As" icon at the top LH corner of the page and you can save it to your computer.

Look under Wiring Diagrams, pg. 2D-10 and you will see the solenoid, item "f" and all the connecting wiring.

Gerry

jimmyphan

Cadet

Gerry,

Thank you so much for your help! I have another question, how come the wiring diagram on pg. 2D-10 did not shown the wiring for the power T&T? Notice that, pg. 2D-11 shows it. Please help me when you have a moment.

Thanks,
JP

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Gerry,

Thank you so much for your help! I have another question, how come the wiring diagram on pg. 2D-10 did not shown the wiring for the power T&T? Notice that, pg. 2D-11 shows it. Please help me when you have a moment.

Thanks,
JP

I don't have your manual, but I do have a manual for my 90. In it there are several wiring harness diagrams depending upon what configuration your engine is. Like some engines may come without PTT and if so those wiring harnesses would not show any switches/wiring.

Your terminal on the solenoid supplies 12v to be applied through an energized solenoid to operate the starter.....but the other use of it is a junction for the 12v distribution. Melted wires probably come with discolored terminals and all that's caused by high currents through loose connections...could be bad crimps between the terminals and wires, but probably the nut on the solenoid that holds it all together isn't goot-en-tite. Simple as that.

If there is a nut at the solenoid and the nut at the end of the stud (holding everything in place) get two wrenches and hold one nut while tightening the other. On most solenoids you can spin the stud if you put too much pressure on it which could break the case, or twist the internal wiring shorting something out.

Mark

carholme

Rear Admiral

jimmy;

Page 2D-11 is not for your engine. What type of remote control are you using and is yours a three or four cylinder engine, better still, provide your engine s/n.

You will see the Commander 2000 remote at the bottom pages but you need to determine which one is the right application for your setup and if you are using a Commander 2000.

Gerry

jimmyphan

Cadet

First of all, I want to thanks everyone for helping me out. your help are greatly appreciated.

Here is my update on this: When i open up the trim relay, i found there's water on both of them. I blow dry it and plug them back in and it's start to work. Do you know how water get into these relay in the first place? Anyway, when I put them back, one relay is really hot and the other is normal. What is the problem with this?

Also, I opened up the motor this weekend and put it back in but there is two identical pin that look like this (o__o). They look like super thin and I think they used to hold something or used put pressure on some part. Question being that I don't know how to put them back in the right place. So, I install the motor without them and the motor still work. Did anyone know and show me how to put them back? A diagram would help a lot.

thanks,
JP