Shifting from Revearse to Forward solid sticking, HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonak

Cadet
ok short story here, i bought a 1988 Bayliner for 2,000 bucks, didnt really run all that well, still getting it to run, 1st the outdrive was all frozen up, shift rod inside was bent, replaced the lower and upper cause not only was it bent, but the dude went salt water fishing and didnt flush it, then it sat for 2 years and the salt froze it all up, next after replacen all that, i managed to get it started, it runs about 1000 rpm, cant seem to get it lower, even in neutral, then NOW after replacen a sticky shifter cable that went from the outdrive to the funky looking bar setup on the engine cause the old one was very stuck in there, i got it to shift again, hard but it shifted, so off can the bar on the block and noticed the upper shift rod was bent, so replaced that cable, then the shifting was off, looked at a buddies boat, counted 14 threads on the upper,adjusted mine to the same and WALLA it shifted, BUT now here is the kicker, this will shift nicely when not running, , BUT when its running and out in the water, i can shift from neutral to revearse, or neutral to forward, BUT in order to go from revearse to forward, i had to turn the engine OFF, shift to neutral and start it to shift forward, and visa versa, i dont know what to think now except maybe replacen the hole shifter setup..

i did do another MOD to the boat last week, went from the manual stearing setup, to a hydrolic ram style steering setup and then when i got it out on the water i found out my cables was backwards, omg wsa funny, had to turn the wheel to the right to go left, the dock master at the marina was laughing his butt off at me, but thats another question i will be asking after i can figure this stuff out,

Dragonak

Cadet
Re: Shifting from Revearse to Forward solid sticking, HELP

by the way, this is a 1988 3.0 GM Motor, and a 3.0L OMC Cobra outdrive setup, i would really love to have this issue fixed as i am out working and trying to figure this out daily, tired of spending money on it, but at least i can still go play on the water daily, cause after i think i got it fixed, i drive 2 miles to the lake and drop it in, love the water play, once this boat is done, i have a complete restore to do on a 1978 Fiberform boat with major wood rot thats gonna be my winter project, and its like 20ft long, but i dont know what motor system i wanna place in it, Merc, OMC, Volvo, dunno, i would love to have a Merc V6 setup in this Bayliner personally myself, and i think i wanna do the same for the fiberform, dunno why, i just like Mercs i guess

weaz14

Cadet

I am having the same problem!!! and was wondering if you found out what ur issue was?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You need to start your own thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.