115 hp mercury inline 6 ignition timing

:confused: does any one know how to properly set base and advance timing on an 87 115 inline 6 distribitorless ignition system ive read some forums on it, but seems so confusing. i tryed for like 4 hours to set it right but no luck, seemed to bounce back and forth. and setting running would run out of room with the set screws, could not even come close to 6* atdc on base and advance at 21* btdc would binde up the base when throttled down. im sure the fly wheel is keyed ok, unless pointer is off but it is close but veries by like 4* play from counterclock wise to clock wise. had screws nearly all the way in to get it close but bindes, i read that need to do it cracking after trying running, not sure on the proper procedure, so much differant than a 4 stroke lol, can any one help me out please, i have the specs, just need procedures and it sounds like 1 more person lol to crank it over. thank you!

cr2k

Captain
Re: 115 hp mercury inline 6 ignition timing

Did you disconnect the idle compensator?

canoemang

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know this is dead on for what your looking to do:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=168855

Makes sure you line up the 2 lines up on the top front of your timing linkages.. it may not seem like a needed part of this but it will give you room to make the adjustments needed.

i seen that in some other posts about this idle compensator not sure if i have one or how to tell if i do, or how to unhook it, what it is. sounds like it may be some of my problem thou. i realy need a manule lol so expensive with low funds. as to the lines ill check into that, i remember seeing them when it was apart. you would think rebuilding this thing would be the hard part but gezz that was easy, this part is really got me deranged for a minute lol

oh yah i found Clams's timing and sync post and plan to try that method today hope i didnt damage it already, seemed to run strong and sounded better than ever, thanks guys big help! getting info out of tech shops is like pulling teeth, top secret info i guess @ $120 ph lol

what is the proceedure to set top dead center on these things, does any one know. mine has an adjustable pointer, alot has been off settings as to carb sync and i suspected timing from the jump, since i cooked 2 pistons with new impeller and water flowing.

Gomer50

Chief Petty Officer

First find TDC on the number 1 cylinder with a dial indicator and set it to zero,now rotate your flywheel counter clockwise 1/2 a turn.
Now rotate your your flywheel clockwise until you hit .462 on the dial indicator and adjust your pointer to the TDC mark on the flywheel.I use a cheap harbor freight dial indicator and used a brass fitting with threads so I could screw the dial indicator into the spark plug hole.