high pitched ignition beep

Ramblin'man

Seaman Apprentice
1995 bayliner capri 2050ls

When the key is in the ignition and it is turned to the on position, that awful bayliner high pitched beep noise rattles the ear drums until the engine is started. Any idea where the contraption is that produces this noise is located and the best way to bypass (or remove) it? It drives my wife crazy!

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Re: high pitched ignition beep

1995 bayliner capri 2050ls

When the key is in the ignition and it is turned to the on position, that awful bayliner high pitched beep noise rattles the ear drums until the engine is started. Any idea where the contraption is that produces this noise is located and the best way to bypass (or remove) it? It drives my wife crazy!

It is usually under the helm near the fuse panel...but that "awful" noise is your protection while the engine is running. The engine alarm system can save you an engine (or outdrive) rebuild!

2jakwvc.jpg

Dave.Mishchenko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you place some tape over the hole the alarm is still audible but less painful to hear.

Ramblin'man

Seaman Apprentice

So by not having the alarm,what could cause the damage and rebuilds? Startled and curious both. Thanks for the info, help and pics guys. Iboats is the best

Dave.Mishchenko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The alarm will go off for items like low engine oil, low oil pressure, overheating engine, low drive oil, etc. It's like the check engine light on a vehicle. When it goes off it's best to stop and figure out what's wrong before some serious damage can occur.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

I personally was saved from engine damage by my alarm: I was navigating down a narrow (and shallow) channel with a very small room for error defined by the channel buoys. My total focus was on the channel markers and my depth finder, when my alarm sounded. I shut her down and found a plastic grocery bag 'snagged' on the leading edge of the outdrive, and blocking the inlets for the water pump. My temperature overheat alarm is set for 190, so I had no damage. Without my alarm I would have probably never noticed the temp gauge on the rise....

Happy boating!